Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Courier with a steel cylinder in a .32 NP caliber. This is the first I've seen in this caliber with a steel cylinder as typically they have an alloy cylinder. I'm not sure what to make of the steel cylinder. Do any other Colt fans have a .32 NP Courier with a steel cylinder? Was my cylinder replaced with steel? Did Colt use up spare parts? In the "Book of Colt Firearms" it lists the .32 as 13.5 ounces and the .22 as 19.5 ounces. I believe the lighter weight of the .32 is due to the cylinder being alloy. My Courier weights 18 ounces due to the steel cylinder. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Vipereater

·
Administrator
7,046 Posts
I have owned both the .22 and .32 . Both had aluminum cylinders .
Possibly your was a parts clean up ? Colt was not keen on anything going to waste .

Mitch

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
I have been pretty well acquainted with Couriers for decades and I have NEVER seen or heard of an alloy cylinder on a .22 Courier. From personal observation and research, the .32 Courier is the only regular production Colt to ever have an alloy cylinder. (The AirCrewman is not regular production.)

Tell me more about the alloy cylinder .22 Courier mentioned. Where is this one-of-a-kind gun now?

As far as steel cylinders on a .32 Courier, I had never seen one with a steel cylinder until Vipereater told me ahout his. However, the Blue Book does mention some with steel cylinders, which may be based on some fact, or, more likely, the usual Blue Book misinformation. (The Colt section is such a mess. Of course, there are many other inaccuracies as well.)

Nevertheless, the cylinder on Vipereater's is steel. My guess is parts cleanup, but I have no proof. The weights mentioned appear in the sales literature, indicating that the usual configurations were steel cyinders on the .22, and alloy cylinders on the .32. In no literature is the .22 ever shown weighing less than the 19.5 ounces, indicating no alloy cylinder. Of course, in no literature is the .32 ever shown weighing more than 13.5 ounces, indicating no steel cylinder.

However, it is easy to explain a steel cylinder already in regular production for the .32 PPS and Cobra being used on Couriers, either to clean up the remaining bsrrels (which are the only place where the model is identified - which would make a Cobra a Courier if the Courier barrel were installed to use them up), or when no alloy cylinders were available FOR .32 Couriers. There is no explanation for an alloy cylinder for a .22, since no Colt .22 of any kind ever used such a cylinder.

Has anyone else ever seen an alloy cylinder on a .22 Courier?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My .32 NP steel cylinder has a purplish tint and unless I put a magnet to it I would have believed that the cylinder was alloy. I have no idea why my cylinder has a purplish appearance but if Mitch went by appearance only on his .22 then he could be mistaken that it had an alloy cylinder.

I'd understand a parts clean up at the end of the second year production run. Although my Courier is a first year model and it makes no sense to me to substitute a steel cylinder at that time.

Mitch, I'm reading from your post that you no long have this gun. Please put a magnet to it if you do have it in your possession or know where it is.

Vipereater

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
guy sajer, I remain very interested in your purported alloy-cylinder .22 Courier. Did you letter it? What was its serial number range? Why did you get rid of this one-of-a-kind revolver?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts