Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much as the title says, just curious to see what everyone thinks. My two local gun shops have had lines out the door, and both stores have sold out of most common rounds(9mm, 45acp, etc).

I highly doubt we'll see a shortage of supplies for our C&B guns, and it got me thinking, if it ever came to a point where you felt like you needed to defend yourself, how comfortable would you feel grabbing your C&B to use.

Just bored with the self isolation, and wanted to start a convo! Personally, if it ever came to it, I'd be more curious to just see the intruders facial expression when he realizes what I'm holding in front of him!:cool:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
A .44 cal Colt or Remington is nothing to sneeze at (pun intended). My original '58 Remington is an excellent shooter, I wish I could find a picture of the group it made at 15 yards with one hand. While a modern single action pistol or double action revolver has obvious advantages, I wouldn't feel unarmed by any means with a loaded C&B pistol of sufficient caliber, especially if I "had the drop" on the bad guy.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
It's funny, LAST night my daughter (night owl) woke me up saying she heard someone walking in our gravel driveway. At 2AM. I did what I always say not to do - investigated. With my recently bought 1911 Stevens pump 12 Ga shown in another thread. Nothing out there but some bunnies. She probably heard a Javalina.

Would I use a cap and ball for defense? Yes, if there was nothing else. But I have many other guns, from the early 1900s, that used cases and shells. I'm not an ammo hoarder. 1 box per caliber is reserved for defense. If there if fighting in the streets I don't plan on joining in. Come in my yard without permission, I won't need much.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Certainly lethal in the hands of a competent man. When reading your post, I thought of Mosby's Rangers, aka The Grey Ghost and his Cavalrymen. They were known to prefer several handguns as opposed to long arms for each trooper. Many a soldier fell during their lightning quick raids. So, I think a cap and ball revolver is a very lethal weapon.

You could certainly hunt with a percussion long arm also.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
No one likes to be shot with anything. If the intruder sees the gun, he will notice the barrel and if it is pointed towards him. If only wounded, then he would question....."just what type firecracker did you shoot me with". ;-)
Let me guess... you don't have any firsthand knowledge of firearms; just what you've seen in movies and video games?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also remember watching a video somewhere, and it was talking about how some countries have really strict gun laws, essentially making c&b revolvers one of their only options for a self defense gun. Thought that was interesting too!

IMO, a c&b would definitely be the classiest way to ward off intruders..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A .44 cal Colt or Remington is nothing to sneeze at (pun intended). My original '58 Remington is an excellent shooter, I wish I could find a picture of the group it made at 15 yards with one hand. While a modern single action pistol or double action revolver has obvious advantages, I wouldn't feel unarmed by any means with a loaded C&B pistol of sufficient caliber, especially if I "had the drop" on the bad guy.
That sounds impressive! I'm definitely still trying to master one hand grouping with the 1860 Army. A buddy of mine said I look like I'm shooting a Glock when I double hand it, which was enough to get me to go to single hand shooting lol.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
If I had to, I would rely on a good cap and ball Colt (or repro) for defense. We had one here that stayed loaded for over 1 year. I decided to unload it by firing, oil and clean, and put it away. All six shots fired into the ground during New Years at midnight. No hang fire, no misfires, just 6 quick shots of round balls propelled with real black powder. No neighbor had any clue that next door six shots were fired. If the target had been other than the ground, the reliability would have been the same. And black powder smells somewhat like hell is coming, doesn't it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I had to, I would rely on a good cap and ball Colt (or repro) for defense. We had one here that stayed loaded for over 1 year. I decided to unload it by firing, oil and clean, and put it away. All six shots fired into the ground during New Years at midnight. No hang fire, no misfires, just 6 quick shots of round balls propelled with real black powder. No neighbor had any clue that next door six shots were fired. If the target had been other than the ground, the reliability would have been the same. And black powder smells somewhat like hell is coming, doesn't it?
That's such an awesome story, and testament to how reliable these old beauties can be!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Any firearm that you use in self defense by shooting someone with it will be confiscated by the police and placed in evidence (yes, even it is a justifiable shooting) until the matter is cleared up. Could be days, could be weeks, could be months. I would hate to think that an original $2000 Colt Model 1860 Army was thrown in an evidence locker somewhere for however long. But if it was all that you had, you had to do what you had to do.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I think most CF folks have enough ammo squared away that it will last until the end of the Wuhan virus crisis- save a good number of rounds for each weapon for emergency, we may have to curtail shooting for fun as many ranges are closed and in some Democrat run states LGS's are also closed by state order. But, if it came down to the holy black -though I don't know squat about C&B- I would want a Ruger Old Army .44

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The thing about a BP gun is you can always make your own bullets, even though you might have a slight shimmy in your steering wheel.
You don't even have to be a good shot, the smoke, noise, and fire will run anybody off.
But,...I would use my Glock first, then my old Colt as a back-up. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
C&B is just as lethal as it was during the Civil War and was still used afterwards for many decades later. If it was the only option then yes my 1847 Walker is just fine and my 1851 Navy is great for close up work. But I am an old Sergeant who knows how to keep his ammo stocked and ready so it's unlikely I'll never run out, even in the fiercest assaults' on my compound. Like most here I stock thousands of rounds for each caliber I have. A little off-topic in a way, but my mind set was formed long ago sitting on the tarmac watching the Helicopters come back to pick my team up and one crashed on the base and a couple others were barely able to land while on fire and shot up. That's when I knew my 200round combat load wasn't enough.

But back on topic, I've never been without ammo and even C&B will do a job for a brief time dealing with a crook. It's still the only option for some folks today.

5d12e1338e378881c88ae8cc43240b9e.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Rick,
Like your Walker, ain't that the same as the one Gus smacked that rude ass bartender up-side the head with right after he smashed his nose into that beautiful oak bar in Lonesome Dove. :)
Best scene ever in an old west movie.
Speaking of the Walker, I read somewhere a while back that it was still the most powerful handgun until the 357 mag., was introduced. There are plenty of reproduction Walkers around for sale. I would feel plenty safe at a short distance with one properly loaded up. The only problem would be that I might need a two-wheel hand dolly to push it around.

·
Premium Member
3,116 Posts
An elderly cowboy out this way carries a little “Screw barrel pistol”. He shuffles his boots across the street to get a candy bar once a week or so. But dang...I know that guy was tougher than three men during many years of his life!
He showed me that little pistol a while back. And we got into a jovial conversation about it.
Told me he always had one in his shirt pocket, even when he was in his 20’s.

“Ain’t good for much” he said “but will get you through a crowd and if you shoot it, you better be able to run like hell!”.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts