Colt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The thing about a BP gun is you can always make your own bullets, even though you might have a slight shimmy in your steering wheel.
You don't even have to be a good shot, the smoke, noise, and fire will run anybody off.
But,...I would use my Glock first, then my old Colt as a back-up. :)
How do you like shooting the conicals out of your 51? I've been dying to try them, just haven't got around to getting a bag.

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
Have we really reached that point to where 'all' centerfire and rimfire ammunition has been expended in pursuit of searching for toilet paper and defending our homes and selves - if we have, that'd explain why the parking lots have expended brass up to our hocks and deeper.

Somehow, I don't think we've reached that point...

Besides, the stockpiles of cartridges in private hands alone is mind-boggling - and all of it has 'something in which to shoot it.

I have known a couple of guys who wanted to carry percussions, but realized that even GG Grandpa shifted over to cartridge as soon as he could, and that their life wasn't one extended-shot gunfight in a movie.

Maybe being an alarmist isn't the healthiest way to deal with social distancing, but imagining having to shoot one's way out of a Wal-Mart, all while clutching a 48ct pack of Charmin isn't a realistic scenario.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
If I had to, I would rely on a good cap and ball Colt (or repro) for defense. We had one here that stayed loaded for over 1 year. I decided to unload it by firing, oil and clean, and put it away. All six shots fired into the ground during New Years at midnight. No hang fire, no misfires, just 6 quick shots of round balls propelled with real black powder. No neighbor had any clue that next door six shots were fired. If the target had been other than the ground, the reliability would have been the same. And black powder smells somewhat like hell is coming, doesn't it?
I have an old side-lever Damascus barrel exposed hammer 12ga shotgun I bought off a guy for $60 years ago. Barrels have been cut to coach gun length, hammers don't match but it's fun to use in Cowboy re-enacting with BP blanks. Just for grins one New Year's Eve I let my boys have one barrel each in the backyard. They thought that was the greatest thing ever and it kind of became a tradition. They still talk about it and ask if we can do it again when they are in town for the 4th or NYE.

Back to OP's question...using a BP revolver wouldn't be my first choice but it would definitely be a viable alternative.

Avenging Angel[1].JPG

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Well, a .44 cal round ball, 0.451" diameter, such as that fired in a Colt 1860, punches a larger hole than a 9 mm, 0.355" in diameter. Enough said?

Furthermore, it would be the area of the hole (circle) that would also be of significance. Using the formula for the area (A) of a circle being A=pi r squared,
the radius (r) being 0.2255", the area of a .44 cal round ball hole is .1597". The area of a 9 mm hole punched into the thoracic cavity or an abdomen of a potential assailant is .0989". The area of the wound created by a 9 mm round is only 62% that of the area of a hole punched by a .44 cal round ball. Assuming that velocity is sufficient in either round to puncture flesh of an assailant, which it certainly is, each shot fired by a .44 cal round ball revolved should be 38% more effective than that fired by a 9 mm pistol.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
How do you like shooting the conicals out of your 51? I've been dying to try them, just haven't got around to getting a bag.
tonyque,
I have shot my 1860 Army [repo.] using the round ball ammo. a few years ago, have not tried the conical, I have not shot the Navy yet, and prob. won't, I don't want to take a chance damaging it. same with my 1860 Army. the org. ones are just to look at and handle.
BTW..When I was shooting my .44 cal. Army round ball, it left a very large hole in the watermelon I was using as a target, Yep.

dogface,
I think all this talk about using a cap and ball was done in a joking way by those of us that collect Civil War guns [although many of them will work just fine] I know I have enough modern guns and ammo. to last me from now on as most here do, thanks to what happened pre. 2016.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
tonyque,
I have shot my 1860 Army [repo.] using the round ball ammo. a few years ago, have not tried the conical, I have not shot the Navy yet, and prob. won't, I don't want to take a chance damaging it. same with my 1860 Army. the org. ones are just to look at and handle.
BTW..When I was shooting my .44 cal. Army round ball, it left a big ass hole in the watermelon I was using as a target, Yep.
I hear ya. It's so tempting to take the originals out and see what they can do, knowing they'll most likely fire without any issue. But risking it probably ain't worth it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
While in school I studied the Civil War in detail, the weaponry and the leaders. I can assure you that even though I have few posts on this forum, I indeed have respect for the weapons they were and are. You apology is accepted, Sir.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
If a cap doesn't fall off or fail and you don't get cylinder flash over by using modern wads, a single action black powder pistol (replica or original) can be as good as any single action cartridge revolver for defense. That said, I have known some to carry unusual pistols. I had a friend who favored two Bolo Broomhandles in a shoulder rig. Not fast, but very cool.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Any firearm that you use in self defense by shooting someone with it will be confiscated by the police and placed in evidence (yes, even it is a justifiable shooting) until the matter is cleared up. Could be days, could be weeks, could be months. I would hate to think that an original $2000 Colt Model 1860 Army was thrown in an evidence locker somewhere for however long. But if it was all that you had, you had to do what you had to do.
If you live in Houston, and such as you describe happens, be sure to keep the serial number. A man here did something (I don't know what) and the Houston Police came and took his old family Henry Rifle. As he protested, they said "if you don't have the serial number - then you will never get it back". He said "I'll get a lawyer then", and the reply was "We have plenty of lawyers"! He never got his Henry Rifle back.

This sounds more like Chicago, New Orleans, or New York -- but it was in damned Houston!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
This sounds more like Chicago, New Orleans, or New York -- but it was in damned Houston!
Much like Austin and Dallas...I'm not sure Houston is really part of Texas anymore. :(

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi Iboos
Nice looking Colt you have there, has been looked after and not got at by re blueing and messed with. Many thanks for putting up the picture of it. Kind regards, ALSS.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I read the 1851 .36 pushes about as much muzzle energy as a modern .380, 190 +-. a colt or remington .44 pushes in the mid 200s muzzle energy but u can load either up or down a bit. A walker runs in the 400s muzzle energy. And if need be, you can make your escape in the smoke.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I remember shooting my BP .44's at old discarded appliances like washers and refrigerator's to see how much they penetrated. I was pleasantly surprised at how easily the Walker tore up a washing machine clean through. I never had a doubt or concern about how well the old Walker or .44Cal 1851 would perform if it was used in self defense.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Hi Iboos
Nice looking Colt you have there, has been looked after and not got at by re blueing and messed with. Many thanks for putting up the picture of it. Kind regards, ALSS.
ALSS,
Thanks for the kind words about my 1851 Navy, here's a pic. of it with my 1860 Army .44, I've had the Army for 25 years now, just got the Navy a few months ago, it is in outstanding condition and is my fav.
Thank's again, :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I know someone who's wife used to carry a 62 pocket police before she turned 21. Never had any doubt she'd be able to defend herself. I know another guy that is a fantastic shot with an 1851, busting clays at 50 yards every time. Most of us couldn't do that with any of our modern pistols. So while not the most powerful gun there is, the ability to hit something with a smaller caliber far outweighs missing something with a larger one. Playing into the scenario, if it were me and I had nothing else, I would have no doubt trusting my 1851's to do the job. That being said, I would have a lot more than one loaded up for the occasion. Probably 6 or so. Who needs a magazine change?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I know someone who's wife used to carry a 62 pocket police before she turned 21. Never had any doubt she'd be able to defend herself. I know another guy that is a fantastic shot with an 1851, busting clays at 50 yards every time. Most of us couldn't do that with any of our modern pistols. So while not the most powerful gun there is, the ability to hit something with a smaller caliber far outweighs missing something with a larger one. Playing into the scenario, if it were me and I had nothing else, I would have no doubt trusting my 1851's to do the job. That being said, I would have a lot more than one loaded up for the occasion. Probably 6 or so. Who needs a magazine change?
Becoming a good shot with a percussion pistol is definitely an art. 50 yards in impressive!

21 - 40 of 67 Posts