Colt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Much like Austin and Dallas...I'm not sure Houston is really part of Texas anymore. :(
An untold part of this story is that a friend of mine, a Houston police officer for almost 40 years, went into that man's antique shop. My friend likes antiques of many kinds. When the shop owner realized that he was a Houston policeman, he ordered him out of his shop! Although my friend was in no way involved in this theft of an original Henry Rifle, the Houston Police Department did in fact steal a $25,000 gun. And they got away with it.

I am glad that I don't live in Houston. It was a cesspool 50 years ago, and has only gotten much worse. Guess what political party runs it??

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I agree, interesting thread. As a young teenager I tramped all over many miles of farm, rail road beds and state forest armed with an original Colt Navy shooting about anything I deemed needing shot. This was the area my grandfather trapped bear for the hides to sell and meat for the logging camps near bye, I never felt a bit under armed, the Colt never failed to fire and balls always at least came close to their intended target no matter the range, (usually fairly close).

Now, thinking about the OP's question, (if he's a bullet caster) I would try and find or have made a mold that drops a blunt, or almost semi wadcutter type bullet to get the most terminal performance out of it. A .44 should do about the same as a .44 S&W Russian, a .36 about the same as a .38 S&W, and a .31 about the same as a .32 S&W short. Not exactly world beaters, but still good enough in a pinch. I recall of a guy back in the 60's during one of the riots using a Re-pop Remington .44 to defend his service station. He fired one shot with the Remington, putting a hole in his plate glass window and killing a can of 30W Quaker State oil. He never did say what he shot at, but he said he was thankful he missed. He cleaned up the oil, put tape over the hole, and went about life having no further need to point the Remington at anyone again as far as I know, but he did buy a Colt Python and had it the last I saw of him.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Krag96, that’s such an awesome story. I love hearing stories of people actually carrying old Colts as a daily. I don’t cast my own balls yet, but I’m really interested in starting at some point. Track of the Wolf is so convenient so I haven’t really had the need but I can see the reasons behind doing it at home!

·
Registered
217 Posts
An untold part of this story is that a friend of mine, a Houston police officer for almost 40 years, went into that man's antique shop. My friend likes antiques of many kinds. When the shop owner realized that he was a Houston policeman, he ordered him out of his shop! Although my friend was in no way involved in this theft of an original Henry Rifle, the Houston Police Department did in fact steal a $25,000 gun. And they got away with it.

I am glad that I don't live in Houston. It was a cesspool 50 years ago, and has only gotten much worse. Guess what political party runs it??
Just an observation, I think that party runs most of the big cities.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
the Houston Police Department did in fact steal a $25,000 gun. And they got away with it.
[/B]?
That probably happens more than we'd like to think.
A new guy showed up with a table at the gun show with some really nice old Colts, Remingtons and Winchesters. He was a retired cop...who used to work in the Property Room.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Anyway, it is very easy to just order Ammunition "on line", or off Gunbroker, all kinds of places have Ammunition, many of them have frequent sales and or good guy deals if one wishes to buy a Case or how-ever many Boxes.

As for me, I mostly like to just load my own, for Paper Target and 'plinking', but other than that, ordering on Line has been very nice.

Even if I were in a larger City, the choices and options and prices ( with shipping ) on line can often be better than local, especially for slightly unusual Ammo, like 'Federal Premium Hydra-Shok HP or HST', in .32 ACP, .380, 9mm P-'08, .45 ACP.

Boxes of "fifty" can be impossible to find locally, but can be found on line sometimes.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,614 Posts
I read years ago about a New Orleans gun engraver who carried a percussion single shot gentleman's "Cloak" pistol as a defense weapon.
The writer said that only a real fool would have attempted to rob the engraver.

Black powder revolvers have problems associated with them, such as the longer barrels of most models, and the problem of insuring reliable operation of a revolver that's been left loaded for days in humid or damp conditions.

Wild Bill Hickok was famous for the extreme care he took in firing the loads in his pistols every morning, cleaning them, and the almost excruciating care he took in reloading them.
He used only fresh powder and inspected each percussion cap.
When asked about this careful process he said that when he drew his pistols he had to be SURE they'd work.

A percussion revolver could serve today just was well as in the 1850's and 60's. A bullet is a bullet.
I suspect a modern shooter with the latest defense pistol would be extremely lucky to survive an encounter with Hickok and his 1851 revolvers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I read years ago about a New Orleans gun engraver who carried a percussion single shot gentleman's "Cloak" pistol as a defense weapon.
The writer said that only a real fool would have attempted to rob the engraver.

Black powder revolvers have problems associated with them, such as the longer barrels of most models, and the problem of insuring reliable operation of a revolver that's been left loaded for days in humid or damp conditions.

Wild Bill Hickok was famous for the extreme care he took in firing the loads in his pistols every morning, cleaning them, and the almost excruciating care he took in reloading them.
He used only fresh powder and inspected each percussion cap.
When asked about this careful process he said that when he drew his pistols he had to be SURE they'd work.

A percussion revolver could serve today just was well as in the 1850's and 60's. A bullet is a bullet.
I suspect a modern shooter with the latest defense pistol would be extremely lucky to survive an encounter with Hickok and his 1851 revolvers.
I've gone out to the shooting range a handful of times with buddies who shoot modern guns (AR-15s, Glocks, etc), and quite a few times they've chuckled while watching me load my percussion pistols after a quick six shots, but to me it's a fun art. Even coming home and meticulously cleaning them is a fun part of it as well. This is a good hobby to be neurotic, since so many things CAN go wrong if proper care isn't taken.

·
Registered
37 Posts
for a good 20 years, my HD weapon was my Ruger Old Army, it was my favorite firearm. It was also my camping and woods guns. I had other guns, including semi-autos but I relied on that Old Army, I was comfortable with it, I could hit anything I wanted to with it. I only changed over to a semi for HD duty about 10 years ago when we had some break-in's and they were done by a group of 3 guys, although after they were caught it was found they were unarmed I didn't know that and switched to something with more bullets and quick to reload, it was not the power factor that made me change. I did consider for more bullets adding my .36Navy to my Old Army, but it was hard to beat a 15 round mag with another mag ready to go.

So yeah, I would be very comfortable with a C&B for defense.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
My dad bought this Gregoreli & Uberti Navy in the late '50s, I kind of took it over in the late '60s. Over the next few years, I fired thousands of rounds through it with very few issues. This target was from 3 or 4 years ago, I hadn't had it out for a LONG time, so I was resonably pleased with what it and I could still do one handed at 50 feet. A few more practice sessions and I think I could tighten up the group a good bit.

As you can tell by the appearance, I carried this Navy all the time when I was out camping or just out with friend for a day of shooting in the desert.

Best regards,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Absolutley

I take my 1851 Navy 1860 colt and 1858 Remington replicas all in .44 cal to the range regularly and they all shot great very accurate throw a heavy load of lead with the conical bullets I cast myself. Many a limb was lost to these weapons in the civil war and on the frontier plains.

·
Registered
156 Posts
There's really no ammunition shortage just an overage of a certain stripe of politicians at the local and State levels. Regardless of the cause though, you betcha, a brace of Navy Colts would do the job just fine, of course, complimented by a brace of Walkers in horn scabbards if we also have to revert to horseback transportation.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Years ago I had an Army roommate do himself in with my personal perfect M1911A1 Remington. CID officers took the gun which didn't bother me but they crudely scratched the date on the frame, slide & barrel. It was returned to me only when I requested it. While I never intended to sell the piece I've always wondered what it did to the value?

·
Registered
52 Posts
No one likes to be shot with anything. If the intruder sees the gun, he will notice the barrel and if it is pointed towards him. If only wounded, then he would question....."just what type firecracker did you shoot me with". ;-)
Firecracker? What sort of C&B might you be referring to? Maybe a .31 Baby Dragoon, which was a very popular handgun in the late 1860's. But, its larger sibling dropped many a soldier, both Blue and Grey/Butternut. As well as many a hostile Native American. If a Walker, or a Dragoon, were used indoors, there would be a fog of white smoke, and ringing of the ears by all involved.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would take it over nothing but it would be pretty far down the list of handguns I'd use for self defense.

I would take in order (assuming reiablity unless specified).
1) full size semi auto in a full power cartridge (.45,40 s&w 9mm, or similar power)
2) compact semi auto in a full power cartidge
3) full size DA revolver in 38 special or better
4)sub compact semi auto in a full power cartridge
5)semi-auto in in 380acp or 9mm mak or equivilent
6) a modern pocket revolver in 38/357
7) a 32 acp pistol
8) a modern rimfire revolver
9) a modern rimfire semiauto pistol
8) an antique cartridge revolver in 38 s&w or better, or a semiauto 25 acp pistol
9) a BP revolver
10) an unreliable centerfire semi auto (asuming the thing fires a chambered round)
11) a single shot bp pistol
12) an unreliable rimfire pistol (think jennings)
13) an unreliable revolver (think a taurus with messed up lock work that sometimes works)

and honestly anything lower than 9 you better have a club or edged weapon to hand in case the thing doesn't work

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
What ammo shortage? Started buying ammo and components in the 70s.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts