Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am helping an elderly friend place values on (3) side by sides that he will be selling: an LC Smith, Lefever, and W&C Scott. They were all restored to a high standard by noted gunsmith Buck Hamlin in Missouri. I know that most restorations are seen a detriment for collectible guns, but from my years get the vibe that the situation is somewhat different for the old double guns (particularly for the market in England). Is there a rule of thumb for the value in a situation like this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
The effect the restoration has on the guns value depends on what condition they were in before the restoration. On today's market the shotgun has been refinished and must simply be judged by their present appearance, the grade of the shotgun, and how closely they were restored to original condition.

The old high grade English guns could be sent back to the original maker to be rebuilt, and when they came out they looked just as they did the day they were originally made.

·
Registered
143 Posts
On American doubles, refinished is ALWAYS a big no-no. I have bought and sold a whole bunch of doubles over the years. I specialize in Parkers and LC Smiths. It really doesn't matter who did the work. Tony Galazan, Buck Hamlin, Bob Bachelder, Del Grego, whomever you can name and no matter how good you think he is , it just doesn't matter. There is no rule of thumb (the standard is a refinished gun is worth what a 0% finish gun is worth), but whatever you think they are worth, cut it in half.... English gun are sort of different story with the barrels only. If the wood or (especially)the receiver is refinished, then see my earlier opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts