Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came to firearms later in life, and am not familiar with the language of DA trigger pull. Many of you use these terms to communicate how it feels and sounds to pull the trigger though it's different stages. I have come across this term as an example:

the stacking at the end of the trigger pull

Can you please define the terms used to describe the sound and feel of pulling a revolver's DA trigger from beginning to end. I'd appreciate the lesson.

Thanks . . .

[This message has been edited by Thirties (edited 01-20-2005).]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Stacking refers to how some wheelies' double action trigger pulls ramp up to a final resistance that indicates that it is about to drop the hammer. Pythons I have tried exhibit this. Of course the pull is very light to begin with so a little ramping up is not an issue.

As opposed to most S&Ws with an even pull weight throughout the whole cycle. However, S&Ws can be rough feeling until everything wears in. Colts are smoother IMO but slower and a tad more tiring in rapid double action fire.

Anyway I'm drifting OT.

Take up: For single action mode: The amount of travel the trigger needs to begin engaging the firing mechanism.

Creep: For single action mode: To me this is the amount of unnecessary movement by the revo trigger after the take up. This is where the term gritty is used too. Ideally, the next thing after take up is a crisp *release* and BANG! (i.e. glass rod).

Overtravel: The amount of trigger movement after the point at which it fires the gun.

I'm sure there are others and the wheelgun lovers here will fill in.

------------------
Ask the Chief!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts