Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, howdy from a newcomer.

My question: Does anyone have a list, or good source for one, for Colt's frame (letter) designations? Thanks.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Welcome newcomer!

I know this has been done several times before and I’m sure they did it better than me, but here goes.

Revolver frame designations:

D Frame: Agent, Cobra, Diamondback, Police Positive and Special, Viper Detective Special, Commando Special, etc.

E/I Frame: Official Police, Officers Model, Python, Trooper. (Lumped together)

F Frame: Navy, Pocket Navy, Walkers, Dragoons etc.

G, K, Q Frame: 22 Scouts and 22 New Frontier Scouts, Buntline Scouts etc.

J Frame: Trooper MKIII, Lawman MKIII, Official Police MKIII. Metropolitan MKIII.

P Frame: Single Action Army.

SF Frame: SFVI, DSII, Magnum Carry.

AA Frame: King Cobra,

V Frame: Peacekeeper, Trooper MKV, Lawman MKV

MM Frame: Anaconda.

I don’t know if the 1917 and New Service had their own frame names, but perhaps Lonewolf will help out on this one.

I think a good reference book for frame designations would be the Numrich Gun Parts catalog.

(Note: Corrected entries in V Frame and J Frame on 8/4)

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,070 Posts
To add to the above:
The pre-war large frame DA revolvers were the New Service.

Prior to the very early 1950's Colt did not assign letter codes to their guns, so as example, referring to a 1930's Police Positive Special as a "D" frame is technically wrong.

In those days Colt referred to the various frames by names.
As example the large frame was the "New Service", a small frame would be called the "Police Positive", or "Police Positive Special" depending on the actual gun, and the medium frame like the Official Police was known as the "41 Frame" after an early ancestor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Info much appreciated. I was specifically interested in the New Service revolver, one of which (a late model, I believe) I have recently acquired. Wanted to try to ascertain which parts were interchangeable amongst same-frame models - you know, like S&W N-frame models, etc.

I'm sorta new to Colt revolver collecting, having been semi-auto centered until a couple of years ago, have not yet accumulated info sources for the Colt wheelguns yet, like I have for S&W models. Until I acquired my first Colt revolver, I was under the mistaken belief (mainly gained from S&W enhusiasts) that S&W made a better wheelgun. Not true! My Colts have a smoother action, better single and double-action trigger pull, and better accuracy than any of my S&W counterparts. Go figure.

Again, I surely am glad I discovered this forum - already gained some knowledge! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

(You know, I should have thought of Numrich, I sure spend enough time staring at their catalogue!)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I always thought the Commando model were an E frame like the Official Police and you mentioned it is a D frame.
Was I wrong?.

Anibal.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Anibal; notice WS-23 said "Commando Special",under D frames. This was the matte finished "budget" snubbie made for for a few years in the early 80's

The TRUE Commando,your right,was the parkerized Official Police,on the E frame built during W.W. Two.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
75 Posts
WS23; are you certain about the Peacekeeper being a J frame? I thought it was built on the Mk V frame, not the Mk III.

·
Registered
794 Posts
gerhard1, you are right about a Peacekeeper being based off a MKV. The MKV's are considered V frames. So I listed the Peacekeeper in the wrong frame designation.

The V frame's should be the Peacekeeper, Trooper MKV, Lawman MKV. Sorry, my mistake.

I better fix the previous post so as not to disseminate bad info. Thanks for keeping me honest.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
The Python is an I frame. The essential difference between E and I is: E = hammer mounted firing pin, I = frame mounted firing pin. The 357 magnums (M357, Python, Trooper 357) are I frames. Some of the I frames (Python, Trooper) were also available in 38Spl. The original Trooper (22LR and 38Spl), OP (22LR and 38Spl) and Officers Models (22LR and 38Spl) are E frames. E and I are generally lumped together because they are the same basic frame size/design, the stocks are interchangeable and, aside from the firing pin arrangement, the actions are the same. Clearer?:cool:

·
Registered
110 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
...The 357 magnums (M357, Python, Trooper 357) are I frames. ... E and I are generally lumped together because they are the same basic frame size/design, the stocks are interchangeable ...

[/ QUOTE ]
Does that mean if I want to change the grips on my circa 1960 Colt 357, I can just shop around among the various Python after-market grips, and whatever I choose will fit? If so, I can't wait; those 357 targets don't hold well for me.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
I am glad I am not heavy into post 1950 Colts, where, having to learn their Frame size designations would likely drive me to exhasperation.

Lol...

I have always just used the terms 'Small Frame', 'Mid Frame', and 'Large Frame', for the various Colt DA Revolvers of the early 20th Century, even though those terms might sound a little naive and be imprecise.

S&W Frame size names seem fairly logical and easy by comparison.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,070 Posts
Oyeboten:
Actually, that's not really a bad way to deal with it. Colt frame sizes can get very involved depending on when they were made.

twaits:
Again, to be technical pre-war Colt's didn't have letter codes, only post-war guns.
While the Army Special was the first of what would be later known as the "E" frame, in it's day, it was refereed to by Colt as the "41 frame" for it's ancestor the Colt New Army & Navy which was made in the .41 Colt caliber.

Probably to prevent confusion, we ought to just refer to the pre-war guns with the post-war letter codes where possible.
In some cases we can't with the guns that were discontinued before the war, like the New Service, Police Positive, and the very early small frame revolvers.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Welcome newcomer!

I know this has been done several times before and I’m sure they did it better than me, but here goes.

Revolver frame designations:

D Frame: Agent, Cobra, Diamondback, Police Positive and Special, Viper Detective Special, Commando Special, etc.

E/I Frame: Official Police, Officers Model, Python, Trooper. (Lumped together)

F Frame: Navy, Pocket Navy, Walkers, Dragoons etc.

G, K, Q Frame: 22 Scouts and 22 New Frontier Scouts, Buntline Scouts etc.

J Frame: Trooper MKIII, Lawman MKIII, Official Police MKIII. Metropolitan MKIII.

P Frame: Single Action Army.

SF Frame: SFVI, DSII, Magnum Carry.

AA Frame: King Cobra,

V Frame: Peacekeeper, Trooper MKV, Lawman MKV

MM Frame: Anaconda.

I don’t know if the 1917 and New Service had their own frame names, but perhaps Lonewolf will help out on this one.

I think a good reference book for frame designations would be the Numrich Gun Parts catalog.

(Note: Corrected entries in V Frame and J Frame on 8/4)
O= 1911s
M= Model 1903/1908 Pocket Hammerless Autos
S= Woodsman, et al.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts