Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What year was the Colt Cobra introduced and what book or reference material are you using?

A S&W Forum member was discussing a story told to him by a friend of a friend using a Cobra in the Korean War and feeding it with British Webley ammo.

I have seen a few .38 special chambered revolvers that would also chamber a .38 S&W cartridge.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Gil; We had a thread on the .22 Cobra.here about a week ago. The Cobra's intro was also discussed,and it was in 1950-51.

What I don't recall being discussed on that thread was the fact that the Cobra.and the Detective Special were also made in .32 Colt New Police(.32 S&W Long) and in .38 Colt New Police(.38 S&W). I once had a 4" .32 Cobra.and just recently passed up a 3" .32 Cobra(I already have the ultra rare .32 Courier),

The .38 N.P. is BY FAR the rarest chambering in the Cobra and D.S. But it is entirely possible that one could've been used in the "KoWar". Since the .38 S&W was popular in the British Commonwealth nations,as well as a few U.S. P.D.s,who still used it,Colt chambered it(but some catalogs from the 50's-60's list it as special order).

Maybe a really sloppy bored .38 Special cylinder would take the .38 S&W,and I remember as a kid,a guy at our range able to fit some surplus British ammo into his Colt Official Police by just tapping it lightly with a wooden stick!

Bud

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
The Colt factory records show the first Colt Cobra, serial number 1LW, being made in 1950.

By the end of 1951, about 7000 had been made.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts