Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As my thread title indicates, I am a lifelong revolver shooter/CCW looking to reenter the 1911 fray after an extended time away. I am currently experiencing information overload, and hope that some Colt experts can clarify something for me. I wish to purchase a new production model, and my preference is the rebooted Series 70, though I am not limiting myself to that choice. My budget is < $1K, and after browsing numerous websites, I have found Buds to have the most competitive prices, with selected Colt 1911s (.45 ACP) priced between $700-850. I am fully aware of "cheap gets cheap", but my inquiry is this ... how much value is lacking in a bottom-level Colt 1911 vs. a mid-level Colt priced $100-200 more? Worth noting is that I am not looking for fancy trinkets and add-ons, just a solid, stock 1911 that is reliable and can be carried as desired. I previously owned a New Agent in 9mm and several utilitarian (non Colt) 1911s, and have lost count of how many online reviews I have read/watched. Yes, I know Springfield and Ruger make nice 1911s for < $750, but I am only interested in Colts at present.

Edit: Another option would be going with either the NA or Defender for dedicated carry. Lipseys has the Night Defender and Stone Gray models ($950-$1K) though I am partial to the trench site NA which I believe is still available through Buds for ~ $850.

Thank you in advance for any/all opinions and advice.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I've Series 70, Series 80 and a LW Commander all in .45 plus some other Colt 1911 patterned pistols. My EDC, when not packing my DS, is the LW Commander. I paid $1080 (darn taxes yanno) OTD but one can find them lightly used for less. It carries well, obviously lighter weight, and conceals acceptably.

After I cleaned and functioned checked the pistol I ran 100 rounds with 100% function, no faliures and the sights are easily brought to bear on follow up shots to target. I have a custom heavy duty belt, made by a forum member for me, that hasn't sagged a mm in 2 some years. The Belt is as important, if you belt carry, as the pistol. Some like IWB, not for me. Some like shoulder rigs, I've yet to invest in one but would look at the El Paso lineup.

Oh, I did change out the panels for Ivory, it just makes me smile :)

LW Commander Ivory(2).jpg LW Commander PreIvory(1).jpg

As a point of order, yes there are cheaper 1911 patterned pistols out thare that are reliable, for less, but IMHO, there's something about a COLT that speaks volumes. The QC was vastly improved as well as the builds over the last 4 some years. Parts, readily available, and you can trick it out if you so wish.

COLT3.jpg

I do have some eye candy to share and every one has never FTF nor FTE and come into battery and gone to target.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Entry level Colt pistols are not cheap guns, but they do lack the better sights, stocks, finish options and top of the line barrels of the higher priced models. They are still forged, have few mim parts, and have the overall Colt quality for endurance and accuracy. I think you would be very happy with a $1000 dollar budget.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
I concur with all my brethren above. Any of today's Model O pistols are solid choises. Your first choice 70 series is well made and accurate right out of the box and Bud's has good choices and prices.

By the way, welcome to the Colt Forum!! :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you for the comments thus far. The Buds pricing has got me somewhat perplexed, thus my original post. Here are two items from Buds' current listings:

$696 - Model:
O1991 -- Bud's Item Number: 36291

$749 - Model:
O1991Z--Bud's Item Number: 718002558

Aside from not having premier triggers and hammers, or upgraded sights, are these two < $750 Colt 1911s too good to be true? Or are they quality utilitarian models that would fit my interests and needs?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I have the 01991 and it is a blued Government Model. For that price what is not to like? I bought it at Buds and the Blue is much deeper and normal looking that that awful pic on the web site....

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Follow the KISS principle...decide what features you can't do without and don't worry about the rest. The fancier stuff can cost money and possibly reliability...never sacrifice reliability for gadgetry. A carry pistol is a tool...a precision tool...reliability is paramount.

A target pistol with bells and whistles will only cost points if it suffers a malfunction...a defense pistol can cost far more.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
image.jpg I think any 1911 talked about or pictured in this thread would make an excellent choice for you , or anyone who wants this platform . I purchased the Commander from Buds myself for seven and change . I think number one decision is barrel length you prefer , then sights . Two other big factors are series 70 FS and National Match barrel . My suggestion to you would be Wiley Clapp Govt or Commander . That is if you like the Novak sites. Probably have to pay $1100 - but to me , best pistol for the money .......... Pick out some VZ GRIPS for an additional 60 or 70 and you'll have one SWEET , slick n SHARP reliable showpiece shooter !

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
I bought one of the new production .38 Supers, a Model 02991, and I am very pleased with it and would not hesitate to use it as a carry gun.
XSE LWT Government Model is nice as is the
XSE LWT Commander .38 Super

·
Registered
369 Posts
As my thread title indicates, I am a lifelong revolver shooter/CCW looking to reenter the 1911 fray after an extended time away... [trimmed]
I will let others mostly respond to your questions, as my experience with new Colts is a little limited. My only recent acquisitions have been an O4610 Commander 9mm and an O1991HC Government in hard chrome finish. I have been pleased with both. I'm sure that by hook or crook you will find something to your liking.

But I primarily wanted to add my welcome as well, it's nice to see Number 6 here. "Be seeing you."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts