Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The factory rework mark that I know the best is the amperstand or " & " mark. I have a factory refinished Bisley with this on it. Any "odd marks" under the stocks???? that I can compare with those under the Bisley,that I got the factory refinish papers with when I bought it from a dealer. Bud Oh, My Bisley has the & mark on the other side of the trigger guard,which i think is standard location.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
WS23; Just checked my Bisley and it has a 3 digit number stamped twice on 1 side of the grip frame,which matches when it was factory refinished May of 1964 or 645 plus a "B" for rebluing (a nickle with have an N). Very similar to S&W marks. I screwed up on the side of the trigger guard that the "&" is on,it is on the same side as your star mark. Hope this helps a little. Bud

·
Registered
909 Posts
Colt's also used a "T" or "K" as rework marks in the trigger bow. The only reference to a star stamp I could find is a French smokeless proofmark, probably not what you have here. Interesting...

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have some medical downtime, so this forum is keeping me sane - I found in the R.L. Wilson book that SAA's were marked with a star on the front of the cylinder in .357, .38 special, and .44 special from 1935-41. I checked my records and find the star on the cylinder on a 1939 Police Positive Special, 1939 Officer's Model, and 1941 Official Police in my collection. So there is a pattern here - is your photo a SAA? What caliber?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a SAA S/N 340XXX in 45LC. But possible rebarrel and recylinder'ed. So looks like 1920 or so.

I probably should have mentioned right up front that this is not my gun. I have been trying to get examples of rework marks for my personal reference material. This was one such example. But I was not sure what it was as I've never seen a rework/refinish mark that I was aware of. I still do not have examples of the "&" that Bud (Lonewolf) mentions.

It sounds like you are on to something Bushwhacker. (BTW hope you get better soon.)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Bushwhacker: I know that .357 Magnum New Services and SAAs from 1936-1941 had the star,on the face(front) of cylinder that denotes a special heat treating to handle the pressures of the hotter cartridge. A 4" .357 New Service I have from 1938,has this,yet a spare cylinder in .357 I bought for a .38 Shooting Master,does not. By the way,the star is 5 pointed not the 6 sided as shown in WS23s gun. The mystery!!! Bud

·
Registered
909 Posts
Gentlemen, I did some more excavating and I think it would be fair to say that Colt's stamped a five pointed star on the front of the cylinder on nearly all their revolvers from '35-'41. I also found it on a Pocket Positive (.32), Police Positive Target (.22), and Police Positive (.38 New Police) made during those years. Some of the stamps are poorly struck, but nonetheless they are there. This doesn't help with WS23's six pointed star, but does add to the mystery. Incidentally, if you want to see pictures of the "T" or "K" rework marks, get Doug Sheldon's book on the Colt .38 Super. I have never owned an "&" marked gun, but have a friend with a couple.

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
I have seen some Colt revolvers with a small letter stamped under the barrel next to the frame that were represented as "factory refinished" guns. I once had a Pre-War .22 OP with such a barrel mark that I believe was a factory refinish. Anybody else know of such barrel marks?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Yessir. I have either an "0" or "1" stamped under the barrel of several pre-war models mfg. between 1922-39. I have never heard an explanation of what it meant before. I can't safely say that these have been factory refinished, but if they were, Colt's did a nice job. Is anyone aware of any other marks under the stocks that the factory would have used?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts