Colt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I seem to remember John Wayne talking about only loading 5 in his Colt, Saying that way I wont shoot my dang foot off. I know it's just a movie. I always loaded one and skipped one method. While at the range Most of the time I load all six. I remember seeing JW load his colt but don't remember if it was the load one skip one.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
**"Anyone heard the "dollar bill in the empty cylinder"**

Heard about it- but don't think it was a common practice if it happened at all

If a Cowboy fired a Colt with some $ in a chamber- the cowpokes beer money would get brunt up.

That would put a stop to it real fast lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
My brother and I have been doing "load 1 skip 1" since we were kids in the 70s, I don't recall exactly who taught us that.

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
I’ll have to get the book from my friend Dan but he quotes a Texas Ranger who was asked “how many messicans did you shoot?”. He replied “All of them, It wasn’t my job to get killed”.
With that mindset, I’d find it awfully hard to believe that Ranger only carried five.

·
Registered
392 Posts
As they originally designed the Colt SAA with a "safety notch" (and continue to use that design today), didn't they figure it was safe enough to load 6? Now we know the notch and trigger are too fragile to be safe and apparently they quickly found out after it was in service.

I've also read somewhere that it was a practice to load 6 and put the hammer down with firing pin between the case heads. That may work on 45Colt but I figure the 44WCF and 38WCF would not leave room. And I'd see a real chance that the cylinder would rotate until the hammer was over a primer.

I've loaded 1, skip one, load 4, full cock down on empty for over 50 years. I have no use for the safety notch.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Two things I noticed in the short bits of their film that is still around. How adroitly they handle guns and horses. Both impressed the chit out of me.
Even in the relatively "new" westerns of the '50's it seems most actors where still very comfortable with guns and horses. Watched the 1957 "3:10 to Yuma" last night and watching the "bit" players (who don't even show up in the credits) mount and dismount horses I was pretty impressed. One of the outlaws running across the street to his saddled horse and (while still running) take a flying leap, land his left foot in the stirrup, and have the horse in a gallop before getting his right leg across the horse.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've also read somewhere that it was a practice to load 6 and put the hammer down with firing pin between the case heads. That may work on 45Colt but I figure the 44WCF and 38WCF would not leave room. And I'd see a real chance that the cylinder would rotate until the hammer was over a primer.
Won't work with the SAA. It did work, and was designed such, on the Colt percussion revolvers.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
beemermark said:
Won't work with the SAA......
Odd.
Works in every caliber, modern Colt SAA I own. Likely scratch your cylinder fiddling with the position though. The smaller the case head the more damage is likely. Might try it with a 1st Gen firing pin if I get a chance tomorrow.

If a Cowboy fired a Colt with some $ in a chamber- the cowpokes beer money would get brunt up.
Had to try this. Folded a dollar bill into quarters and then rolled it up. Fired off five smokeless in a 45 and a 44 Special. No harm to the buck and the gun ran fine. BP ammo might make a difference. I'll try that tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
What was the Ordnance procedure for loading the Single Action Army?
Reading period advertisements I think the Colt SAA was originally intended to be load with 6 rounds.

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
As Time progressed and these SAA’s were found in Civilian hands for use as protection and pleasure, use of such propagated the neccessity for a safer mode of carry. We were no longer in times of protecting ourselves from ambush of marauding, savage Indians.

People will say carrying and relying on the safety notch is dangerous; so is driving on a crowded highway with other vehicles. We steer clear and avoid potential accidents. We employ measures to make our trip to the grocery store or vacation across the country as safe as can be - but there’s always variables we cannot control: other drivers, weather, condition of our own vehicle and even wildlife to consider.
No matter what, we can only decrease the potential for an accident - unless we vacate the use of the firearm altogether.

This re-written text comes from actual test trials.
Eighteen and Twelve are not neatly divided by five. So here we have to deduce the cylinder was filled, and a time and accuracy trial was conducted.

This is from “A Study Of...” by Graham, Kopec and Moore.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
I loaded 6 and placed the firing pin between cartridge rims (44-40) until I started shooting SASS. I started out shooting cap & ball matches when I was 14. I'm 81 now. I got accustomed to letting the hammer down between chambers and just kept doing it when I got my first cartridge gun, a nickel FRONTIER SIX SHOOTER made in 1881. Cost me $35.

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Interesting video thx- well, maybe they rolled up the $- put it in a empty 45 shell and sealed the end with bees wax.

Then if you got thirsty or needed to go in the ground- you were set.

Or maybe Hickock's 45 has a too large cylinder gap, and a well set up SAA would not burn the dinero

·
Registered
366 Posts
When I go to the range we always load six. The gun remains at half cock until it is pointed down range to shoot.

I haven’t actually carried one of these guns but if/when I ever do it will be loaded with 5 rounds.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I think Colt made his SAA with six holes for a reason, and real men/cowboy's of the old west prob. used all six. just common sence. for all the safety minded folks you might try the
"Barney method", but then again, how many times has Barney almost shot himself in the foot :). and he's just as much a real cowpoke as the Duke. :)

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
...Or maybe Hickock's 45 has a too large cylinder gap, and a well set up SAA would not burn the dinero
BP would likely make a difference as it burns hotter. But the biggest error I see is Hickock used fake money. Real money doesn't burn so easily. Real dollar bill will easily survive 5 rounds of smokeless and I'd bet BP as well. No reason not to simply chuck it out and load six if you needed a reload.

21 - 40 of 102 Posts