Colt Forum banner

101 - 102 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello to all! Although I have been a member for a while, this is my first post to the forum. I have always liked watching all of the old movie and TV Westerns of the day. I loved to watch for bloopers. Part of the fun was counting six or seven shots fired or watching the hero load his revolver. I would always smile when I would see someone loading or firing a smokeless powder revolver when in the opening credits they stated "Arizona Territory, 1878.". I still wonder when I see someone go to full cock and then uncock their revolver. Seems like that would put the hammer down on a loaded round too. Well, I guess that's TV.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Great thread, enjoying immensely, only problem is I follow one link and I'm watching youtube videos on the old I.T. for a half hour or more before I remember the thread.
Thank you Cozmo.

Just a few comments:
Granddad born in I.T. in 1890's carried 1911, cocked and locked with 7 in the mag and one in the chamber, grip safety tied down, in his tool box as often as not.
Granddad born in Texas in 1880's carried a single action .45 with 5 rounds with the hammer all the way down on an empty chamber, in his tool box as often as not.
Both had a lot of time behind a plow, doctoring cows, pushing them and butchering them and were good carpenters and blacksmiths. neither were gun hands but there were some scrapes, usually related to drinking or jack rabbit drives or both. One of my great uncles, was no more after an AD with a 30-30 Winchester in a model T ford, if you can call riding with a round in the chamber, butt on the floorboard, barrel pointed in the general direction of your head an accident.

If your 120 plus year old SAA doesn't go bang every time, something is very, very wrong, if your glock fails to go bang it wouldn't surprise me.

I was taught to put 5 in the SAA and then rotate the cylinder to put the hammer down on an empty chamber.

I was also taught that, if real trouble was afoot, a shotgun or rifle was much preferable to a pistol.

My night stand gun is a model 10 S&W with the hammer down on an empty chamber, it always goes bang.
Why don't you load all six chambers? A S&W Model 10 is completely safe fully loaded.

101 - 102 of 102 Posts