Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
At least two someones (born in '77?) believed that it was worth 5K (with the buyer's premium). Regardless of quality or design, full coverage engraving (except for the flutes) does not come cheaply. Am guessing that the non-factory engraving counted it as a refinished weapon. Nevertheless, auctions, like sporting events, are most interesting at the end.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand engraving does not come cheaply but I would question if this is really engraving or further more if it is even desirable. I thought bad engraving lowered the price for a Colt, guess one never knows what an auction will return. Have see a lot of mention of getting a Python or something from the same year one was born, color me bewildered... I dont get that at all. Not saying it is wrong... just dont understand it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Somebody just wanted this thing really bad. It could be that they are misinformed or just plain don't care. He will only realize it if a day comes he has to sell it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Buyers are a fickle bread. I see Colt Pythons and Diamond Backs at all the local shows I attend. To me the prices of 2K-3K are ridiculously high, but they get sold. Then on the other hand you see some models selling for upwards of 4K. Why? I own 2 Pythons a 6" .357 and an 8" .38 special. along with 2 4" Diamond Backs a .22 and a .38. If memory serves we paid about $300.00 for the Diamond Backs for my father for Christmas some time ago. They sit in my safe still in the boxes. The Pythons were bought for $600.00 for the .357, the .38 was a mere $400.00 both were new in the boxes.
I'm sorry I wondered off there. I guess what I'm saying is it looks like it is a sellers market. Will I ever sell mine? No. My kids and grandkids will enjoy them someday.

Tim

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I understand engraving does not come cheaply but I would question if this is really engraving or further more if it is even desirable. I thought bad engraving lowered the price for a Colt, guess one never knows what an auction will return. Have see a lot of mention of getting a Python or something from the same year one was born, color me bewildered... I dont get that at all. Not saying it is wrong... just dont understand it.
There is no market value for guns like this, IMO it could just as well have sold for $1000 if "the right guys" hadn't shown up. You could paint a Python with Duracoat, and it would only takes two guys with a taste for Duracoat to drive up the price like that. People even paid good money for the Pontiac Aztec, so beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
I don't know what type of engraving this is but it's certainly not to my taste. It
doesn't look "real" at all (somebody mentioned electro-pen?). In any event, I
would not be interested in buying that Python at any price.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is no market value for guns like this, IMO it could just as well have sold for $1000 if "the right guys" hadn't shown up. You could paint a Python with Duracoat, and it would only takes two guys with a taste for Duracoat to drive up the price like that. People even paid good money for the Pontiac Aztec, so beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder.
Thumbs up for the Aztec reference. I guess I am just amazed that there were at least 2 people who liked it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
There was a thread here about a Silver Snake Python that went for $14K I think. The matte silver finish, ugly machine(?) engraving and rubber grips (really, rubber grips on a limited edition gun!) looked like crap to me. it made a $3K gun a $1k gun in my book, but to each his own - I guess at least it was rare.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Not my taste either but am not surprised at the price---people can get caught up in auctions one reason I tend to stay away from them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts