Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of years or so ago you did an excellent article on the Colt Metropolitan MkIII for this forum. A couple of things: one is that I understaand that this was the revolver that Francis McGee, the head of the NYPD Firearms and Tactics Unit carried. The second is that one of the posters in response to your article had just read "CHIEF", the story of Albert Seedman, one of NYPD's better-known Chiefs of Detectives. The poster was curious about the revolver that Seedman bought when he first entered NYPD service. You said that you might be able to find out what it was if you had the date of entry. I have the book right here in front of me and the date is March 16, 1942. BTW, that article is how I found Coltforums. I was looking up the Colt Metro MkIII, and saw the article. Now, what kind of revolver did Seeedman get? Thank you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
When I met Lt. McGee, he was already retired and , unfortunately, ona downward health slope that led to his passing a couple years later. Interestingly, we never got into a discussion about what he carried.

I do know that he stated that in the very very late 1950's (1958-1959) he bought a Highway Patrolman and was so pleased with the heavier barrel that when he was in a position to do so, he ordered HB guns for the NYCPD.

The wartime records -seem- to have survived intact. I'll check that date and see what I can find.

RMV

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well, I checked the records and they start on March 24, 1942. you say Mr. Seedman got his gun on March 16, 1942, so I don't have those records.

However, I can say with a %99 degree of certainty he got Victory or Commando, as most of the pre-war guns were already sold by that tiem.

Sorry.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for checking, Mr. Vivas. BTW, I have an NYPD Official Police that I got from you. I am sorry to hear about Lt. McGee's passing. I understand that Massad Ayoob was trying to get him to write a book about his experiences in the Firearms and Tactics Unit. Did he ever do this? Thanks again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ayoob and the NYCPD have a relationship that can be best described as..........well, I really don't want to describe it. Leave it at that.

I too nagged Frankie McGee to put it all on paper and he said that that was my job and not his. I did interview him for several hours and learned lots of colorful stuff, but on the actual nuts & bolts of who did what when and why, it was lacking.

He was an old fashioned cop, and a great storyteller.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Mr. Vivas. You are a true gentleman. One more thing if I could: are the majority of Metropolitan MkIII's in the hands of former NYPD officers? Put another way, did Colt sell the majority of Metro MkIII's to the NYPD? Or did Colt make any significant sales of the Metro to other agencies? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's always been my -opinion- that the Metropolitan was designed with the NYCPD specifically in mind. It was the only gun in that family (Trooper, Lawman, etc.) to be in .38 Special and the only one with fixed sights; both of which were NYCPD requirements. Combined with the name, it seems to me that it was a gun destined specifically for NYCPD.

To the best of my limited knowledge, no othe rlarge department adopted it as a standard gun. I'm sure that soem individual officers in othe rdeprtments may have private purchased a few, but I can't recal any large department ordering a batch.

I am curious as to the total production figures on the Metropolitan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts