Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Have always had an affinity for antique Colt Single Actions!
488 Posts

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I like it!
I wonder if the guy was a lefty since the carving is on the left side grip.
2nd the motion on a letter!
I'm a lefty and that was the first thing I appreciated on this gun. It's a little different type carving and I wonder how it feels in the hand with the carving so low on the butt. Usually it fills the hollow of the palm. Patton's gun was carved on the left side but carried on his right. In the 80s a local gun show guy always had slabs of grip ivory for sale and told me if you're right handed put the carving on the left so it doesn't get damaged bumping into stuff when wearing the gun. That made no sense to me at all.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Appreciate the comments on the gun. It actually came with a Colt letter when I bought it. Me being the sceptic that I am got another letter from Colt just to make sure the other letter wasn’t faked. The gun shipped 9/3/1891 to Fassett & Kelly. It says it’s a 38c, 4 3/4, nickel, factory engraved, 1 gun in the shipment, gilted finish with pearl grips. Looking at the wear on the gun I doubt the pearl grips lasted very long.

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts
Appreciate the comments on the gun. It actually came with a Colt letter when I bought it. Me being the sceptic that I am got another letter from Colt just to make sure the other letter wasn’t faked. The gun shipped 9/3/1891 to Fassett & Kelly. It says it’s a 38c, 4 3/4, nickel, factory engraved, 1 gun in the shipment, gilted finish with pearl grips. Looking at the wear on the gun I doubt the pearl grips lasted very long.
Yes, those ox-head ivories look like they came off an earlier gun. An 1882 Colt SAA with those grips is pictured here.

So is your gun a 38 Colt or 38-40?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, those ox-head ivories look like they came off an earlier gun. An 1882 Colt SAA with those grips is pictured here.

The letter says 38/C, the barrel says 38WCF so I assume 38-40.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel
Revolver Musical instrument Shotgun Trigger Bullet
Air gun Revolver Trigger Wood Gun barrel
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun accessory Gun barrel
Wood Cylinder Metal Artifact Art
Well, they were used like anything else back then. Someone who wanted a status symbol and considering it's location, likely a Mexicano Patron, most likely. Take a look at this puppy that must have been the property of someone south of the border. Found this as a trade in on a modern gun in TX.

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Here is something of interest for you. The dealer your colt was shipped to was in El Paso, Texas and here is a snip from a December 1891 El Paso newspaper talking about the company.

Attachments

Reactions: Wes Terner and OD*
1 - 20 of 26 Posts