Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a set of punches to disassemble a 1911. Is there an advantage to those with a convex tip vs a flat tip?

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
A Roll Pin punch has a small "nipple" on the head of the punch to set in the Roll Pin hole. It will keep the punch from slipping most of time, but you must use the correct Roll Pin Punch too!!!

Here is a link to Midway USA showing the set I have from Grace: https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/363683/grace-usa-roll-pin-punch-set-7-piece-steel

But you still have to be careful using them, they will slip off the pin too! A Roll Pin shold not be so tight in the hole that a big hammer is required to insert or replace one. The design on the "rolling action" of the pin provides the pressure to hold it in place. Personally, I don't like roll pins; I prefer a solid pin that is pressed in place, but that is just me, LOL!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,616 Posts
At most, you only need two punches to disassemble a Colt 1911.
One size to fit the mainspring housing retention pin, and one size to fit everything else.

A 1/8" inch and a 1/16" inch flat face will do everything.

While the 1911 can be disassembled without tools, a couple of punches and gunsmiths screwdriver bits to fit the grip screws and the magazine catch lock save scratching up the parts.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
At most, you only need two punches to disassemble a Colt 1911.
One size to fit the mainspring housing retention pin, and one size to fit everything else.

A 1/8" inch and a 1/16" inch flat face will do everything.

While the 1911 can be disassembled without tools, a couple of punches and gunsmiths screwdriver bits to fit the grip screws and the magazine catch lock save scratching up the parts.
Exactly. The only exception to that would be some rear sights that are installed with a roll pin, but the only reasons for removing these would be a sight change or a refinish. With that said, it's still a good idea to have roll pin punches in you tool box. As a matter of fact, the smallest installation punch in my Brownells set is the perfect tool for installing the trigger spring in a Colt Mk III action... :cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would recommend getting some flat brass punches if you absolutely need to use them on a 1911. You shouldnt be wailing on the punches so that is why I suggest brass it would be less likely to mar the finish. I wouldnt use a roll pin punch on a 1911 they are meant for roll pins and not flat head pins. Its been a little while since I took my 1911's apart but I dont remember the need for any cup tipped punches either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts