Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Re: \"Rooster Walker\"

So that's the famous "Rooster Walker"?

Somehow, I'd imagined it to be in almost relic condition from being dragged aound the farmyard. My only comments are that (1) it's a shame it wasn't in the Texas Gun Collectors Association's Parade of Walkers in 2003, and (2) were all the Military/Ranger Walkers serial numbered on the butt as well as the cylinder?

·
Registered
173 Posts

Yes i was wondring to. if it was tied up to a rooster the wooden grip didnt survive that abuse.
It could be also a very light rooster /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
87 Posts

Gotta be a tough rooster to drag near to five pounds of weight. I was thinking "chicken anchor" has to be a few notches below being used as a door stop.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Be glad some idiot didn't weld it to a base and make a lamp out of it.

Who is this Wilson chap? Forgive my ignorance.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Wilson "was" a very highly regarded authority,frequently seen on "The tale of the gun",author of several great books on Colts and Winchesters...until late year when the temptation(or personal need) to scam a collector became too great.

·
Registered
671 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
OK for us dummys. What is the story behind this gun and what makes it so special?

[/ QUOTE ]

From the GunsAmerica posting:

This is the famous “Rooster Walker”. This pistol was displayed in the Texas Rangers Museum until 1986 when it was sold to a private collector. This pistol originally came from the Gaines DeGraffenried collection. Mr DeGraffenried, (Charter member of the Texas Gun Collectors Association and a member of the commission appointed by Governor Dolph Brisco to establish the Texas Ranger Museum) found the “Rooster Walker” in Mexico while on a gun buying spree. The gun was tied to the leg of a fighting rooster to keep him from running off. That is why the nickname “Rooster Walker."

The full story is a great deal longer and leaves one with the impression that the rooster (perhaps a series of roosters) had been tied to the gun for a long time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts