Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spotted this 1934-vintage Officer's Model .22 on a back shelf of a nearby gunshop and pointed out that it did NOT have its original stocks. The management was kind enough to compensate for this heinous fact by selling it to me for a song. Well, that sure made my day-after-Christmas! As denizens of the S&W forum can attest, I like any handgun outfitted with Roper stocks, and these are pretty ones with a right-panel palm swell, lovely figured wood, and crisp checkering. I don't think Roper sold them with the "thumb relief" on the left panel, but whoever made it did a good job. There is a Santa Claus!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I sure hope they did the right thing by discounting that gun a bunch.

------------------
Fore Warned is Fore Armed... Pogo
Unless it's four worned out guns... Albert

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Michael, how do you do it?
I can't even find anyone around these parts that have even seen a set of Ropers, let alone have any for sale.
What a coup, you even get the guy to discount the gun because it has the wrong stocks.
Michael, how do you do it?

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:

...how do you do it?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think someone cast a Roper-come-to-me spell this year. I have found / bought / stumbled upon more Roper stocks than I had ever seen. While some have come from other parts of the country, I have to believe that one reason I've had good luck is that I live scarcely an hour away from Springfield, Mass., where they were made.

·
Premium Member
9,480 Posts
Mr. Stern, the Roper Magnet! Wow! I believe it!

The explanation about being close to the factory may have some validity. Without actually calculating, I would speculate that well over half of my lettered old guns are still within a several hundred miles of where they were shipped when new. Over the years, I have found more quality guns listed for sale from the East than the Midwest where I reside. With a larger, more affluent population in the East, I suspect a larger percentage of high end guns were sold in the East than here in the Midwest, where "working" guns were more common. A lot of them are still there, or in Mr. Stern's safe!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To elaborate on JudgeColt's comments about "working guns" being more common in the West, I have seen enough estate guns around here to believe that a lot of well-to-do customers bought their high-end firarms, used them maybe once or twice for a hunting trip or visit to the range, then put them in the attic for a few generations. I used to regularly come across spectacular special-order Winchesters, in like new condition with only storage wear. Not so many any more!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts