Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Consummate Collector
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up another set of Roper stocks and thought that I would post them along with a couple of other sets that I have for the Detective Special:

Here they are on a 3" Police Positive Special:

Shown with a Detective Special:

Here is another set on a Fitz Detective Special:

Cam.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Beautiful Ropers guys. I can't remember ever seeing them on small frame guns before, most it seems were for I Frame Colts and K & N Frame S&W's that were set up for target shooting. I especially like the set on the Detective Special, they look like they would greatly add controlability without adding too much bulk.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
One of Cam's nicest Police Positive is his King's Engraved with Gold Work and Ropers that seem to melt perfectly with the size frame and also has a practical cutout relief for loading! My small frame shown here are not Ropers but look like grips wearing a gun. I am not sure the maker, but it uses the same 3-hole mounting on the grip back for the medallions that Colt Uses. Jackson

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think that he Ropers I show on a Terrier were originally made for a 22/32 target or a Kit gun. The grips make shooting the gun easier but would be harder to conceal.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What's the story behind that Detective, Cam? I've never seen one like it. That's beautiful.
What's the story behind that Detective, Cam? I've never seen one like it. That's beautiful.

Keith. It is a King conversation. King Gun Sight Company in California was famous for installing full sight ribs and cockeyed hammers on guns during the time period that this gun was made. I will have to admit, I don't know how useful it would be on this short 2" barreled gun but evidently someone wanted it. I have never seen another in all of my collecting years and I have collected King sighted guns for most of them. I do have a few King sighted guns where the Colt letter shows the gun being shipped to King from Colt. Maybe an end buyer was involved or maybe King was buying guns and doing the work on them and then selling it. The gold work on the gun was done by Orville Kuhl who was Kings engraved of choice for doing their work.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Cam; The Ropers you show on the 2 inch and target are the most unique I have ever seen. Looks like they were crafted to display the gold inlay. You may know the history were both guns owned/ordered by the same person ?

·
The Consummate Collector
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cam; The Ropers you show on the 2 inch and target are the most unique I have ever seen. Looks like they were crafted to display the gold inlay. You may know the history were both guns owned/ordered by the same person ?
Roy. Thanks and while I purchased them together I can only assume that they were probably ordered together but cannot verify that.

Cam.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Travis. I have seen that two screw Roper Stock a couple of times before. I think they used it when the stocks were somewhat large and on a small frame. Here is that same scenario with an H&R:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts