Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been taking my Magnum Carry to the range and not fiding it very accurate. Still not sure if it needs to go back to Colt or it's something else (the ammo or me).

Yet while looking closer at the gun then I have in the past I have noticed a lot of uneven surfaces.

For example: the barrel seems to be crowned (or cut) at a slight angle and the fronts sight is not evenly "cut" into the top of the barrel.

I know that this model is known to have lots of sharp edges, but should it be sort of lop-sided in it's overall finish?

Questions:
Did I get a lemon or was the quality of these guns poor?
Will Colt do anything about it if I send it back?
Is it worth spending the money for a shop like cylinder and slide to work the gun over or is it a weak design?

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
265 Posts
A good friend of mine, a retired USMC armorer, noticed a similar problem with the crown on my Magnum Carry before I sent it to Colt.

Colt fixed it at no charge. The only cost to me was shipping,

John

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply John. That tells me what I need to know: Others have seen this and Colt will fix it.

Did you send a description of what was not right with the gun or did they give it an overall check and fix what was needed?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
When dealing with ANY gun maker, always send a very specific, point by point description of any problems.

They're human and can miss things.
A letter points out issues you've had plenty of time to spot.

·
Registered
265 Posts
uberdog,

Here's part of the letter I sent to Colt:

"Since I purchased it, I have fired approximately 500 rounds of ammunition through it. The cartridges consisted of various types of factory ammunition and my own re-loads.

The best group I can shoot is 3 inches at fifteen yards. Using an NRA bulls-eye target, I can barely keep five rounds in the black. In fact, it looks more like a shotgun pattern rather than a group.

My S&W Model 649, on the other hand, consistently shoots a ragged one-hole group at the 5 o’clock position with the same ammunition."

I sent the above to Colt and received a reply that said to send it back and it would be fixed. I bought the gun, NIB, in Nov, `98, and sent the letter off on Jan 03,`03. I also enclosed a copy of the bill of sale.

After I sent the gun, a Colt employee called, said they'd received it, and told me it would take approximately 32 days. Exactly 32 days after the call, I received the repaired gun.

There was no charge for the repair but I did pay for another trigger. While it was at Colt, somebody polished out some minor scratches that were my fault. I paid shipping to get it to CT and Colt paid for the return.

I'd give them a call at the "800" number if I was having the problems you are.

Good luck,

John

[This message has been edited by JCM298A (edited 05-19-2005).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts