Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i seem to remember a discussion about military dick specls were square butt even after the switch to round. anyway, in the upcomeing little john's auction, may 23, there is ser.no. 471699, shipped to the marine corp. feb. 10 1942, with round butt.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I'm sorry to say I just wasted 40 minutes paging through the auctions and I couldn't find it.

From the way you phrased it, it sounded like it came with a Colt letter. Do you know if it did, or came with any other paperwork verifying where it was shipped?

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Thanks Richard, I was getting very tired of looking through all those guns. I was on my 2nd pass.
I may have to bid on this gun.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
This gun has a 1940 serial number. My 1944 M.I.C. D.S. has a 1941 serial number but it's a square butt.
It's probable that this gun was procured before Army Ordnance became responsible for getting these guns for the armed services various intel branches, including Naval Intel. The Marines are part of the Dept. of the Navy.
According to the experts (which I am not), Army Ordnance insisted all the DSs they bought have square butts because all the existing revolvers the Army had were square butts. We don't know if the Dept. of the Navy would have agreed with this, or just didn't care. In retrospect, their reasoning was pretty stupid since the guns were intended for plainclothes use and an operator would not have needed much range time to get used to a round butt D.S.
But, you know how the government is.......

A very interesting gun. Thanks for posting it, Fitz2, and thanks for helping me find it, Richard.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no problem malysh, sorry i didn't post lot no., the description says, "marine corp marked", but dosen't show the mark.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I saw the online auction via bayouboy's link and all i have to add is that is a very nice detective special. I hope who ever wins it takes good care of it.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
no problem malysh, sorry i didn't post lot no., the description says, "marine corp marked", but dosen't show the mark.
Fitzie, the link Richard provided shows several pictures, including two of my beloved USMC stamped on the butt:)
Thanks again for posting this gun.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I noticed the auction house charges 18% commission!
It would take $600 just to get into the game at this point. If I won it at that price, which is not guaranteed, that would mean an extra $108 to Little John's on top of shipping and paperwork on this end. I guess I won't be bidding afterall.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
No personal experience, but I have read on some other forums that Littlejohn charges truly exhorbitant fees for packing and shipping, in addition to the premium.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I just won a Colt Defender from a different Auction house - They stuck me with about $46.00 for shipping! I learned that you have to watch those fees!!

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I will predict an auction final of about $2000/2500.
I just signed on this morning with the intent of guessing a selling price :). I agree with you, based on what I've seen the past few months. A near mint one with a period holster sold for about $2200, two other excellent examples sold for $1900 & $1500, another which was lend lease and overstamped indicating it was for not for 38-200 cal. was languishing with a $900+ starting bid last time I looked.
They were all Gunbroker, including my 1944 Army Intelligence one which is in lesser but v.g. condition was a steal, but that's only because Bayouboy and Mt.Spur laid off so I could buy it and luckily, nobody else seemed to notice (as far as I can tell).

With "internet auction fees" at 18%, I'll never bid on anything from this house. I just can't afford to bid with such a high extra fees.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Realizing the auction folks need to feed their families and all but 18% and darn near $50 to ship seems excessive to say the least. I watch auctions all the time on GB, Auction Arms, etc. in case something sparks my interest but if the seller is tacking on $45ish to ship and another 2-3% insurance (seen that more than once) I just move on down the road. Course I've been known to be penny wise and dollar foolish on something I really really want to have :) . It's all on me, however, as nobody is twisting my arm to bid or to walk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts