Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found, what to me is an unusual, interesting gun at brother RM Vivas' page. Anyone ever hear/see an OP, "round butt," before? I've seen lots of the S&W's in square and round but never a Colt. Is this unusual? Guess it won't take standard grips, huh? Were they made long? Makes me wonder what OTHER pieces there are with the OP label that I don't know about. I'm thinking this would make a terrific PD gun for moi. (AND, there's those 2" barrels from Numrich, too! THINK of the possibilities!) Over?

·
Registered
178 Posts
rc.........
once saw a Colt like that, I think it was called a "Marshall". Are you sure it was going under the name of OP? It looked kinda like a 3" Cobra on steriods. Another model for your pipe dreams?
Ben

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uh-oh. Now I am confused. (Now!?) I've asked our dfarris once about the, "Marshall." I'm pretty sure he and others replied the Marshall is exactly the same as the OP, except for the name stamp. But I think I saw one, once, too that was an unusual piece. I had the notion it was a 2" barrelled New Service. The rb OP I'm talking about here is pictured on rmvivas' web site. It's an OP, sure enough, but looks like the heavy barrel and, for sure, a different butt shape the customary. Rather like S&W #10's, I guess.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Went to Vivas site......darned if you aren't right. Guess you could get them. Maybe you could special order them as it would only be putting an OP barrel on a "Marshall" or E/I-frame. Wonder if Colt numbered the models separately or numbered by frame type. I once ordered a Cobra barrel on the DS or 'D' frame because I did not like the alloy frame but thought the 'Cobra' name more exotic. So in essence I have a factory "steel framed" Cobra. All it meant was putting a different barrel on a frame. It looks like this was done on S&Ws also as I see people questioning the odd barrels per models over on their forum. Seems the manufacturers were not as concerned with conformance and standardization as collectors. Sorry for the rambling...............
Ben

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, boy, Cobra Man ... "The Plot Thickens!" One of the reasons I've always been more comfortable with Colt is that their line WASN'T as extensive and confusing as S&W's. (Besides the little matter of the Colt's cylinder turning into the gun and the other backwards!) But now, I'm not so sure ... I've now seen round and square butt OP's, OP's that really are Marshalls. OP's with 4 and 6" barrels but I KNOW they made 2's and 5's, too. AND, 4" and 6" skinny and heavy barrels. If a man wanted to collect nothing but the humble old OP, he'd have quite a closet full, I think! I don't MIND ... The problem to it is all of these I know about because I've SEEN but didn't BUY! After Christmas, if that rb OP is still there, I'll have to decide between that and one his DS's. Oh, yes, then there's the MK III's and V's with Metropolitans and Lawmen, etc. Yeow!(QUOTE]Originally posted by rcwambold:
Found, what to me is an unusual, interesting gun at brother RM Vivas' page. Anyone ever hear/see an OP, "round butt," before? I've seen lots of the S&W's in square and round but never a Colt. Is this unusual? Guess it won't take standard grips, huh? Were they made long? Makes me wonder what OTHER pieces there are with the OP label that I don't know about. I'm thinking this would make a terrific PD gun for moi. (AND, there's those 2" barrels from Numrich, too! THINK of the possibilities!) Over?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sounds like I need to see this RM Vivas page. But my net searching skills let me down again. Can somebody post a link?

Bart Noir

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greetings, Bart! If you go back into the files of these pages, you'll find some postings from him and his e-mail address, etc. Gun shop owner near NYC, I gather. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bart Noir:
Sounds like I need to see this RM Vivas page. But my net searching skills let me down again. Can somebody post a link?

Bart Noir
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Bart
You can find him on vivasandson.com. I don't know if he is the NYC armorer on not, but he gets all the NYPD turn-in guns.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
127 Posts
The RB Colt OP was special order item from the 1950's and into the early/mid 1960's. They were made up on left-over Marshall frames. At least one large batch was special ordered by NYPD during that era.

I've done some checking and after digging around i finally found a Colt flyer that lists the RB configuration as special order during that era.

Presumably the factory had to find a way to use of the Marshall frames, and tagging them as "special' OP's seems to have done the trick. I have actually had quite a few come in.

RM Vivas www.vivasandson.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts