Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I cleaned the extractor on my Colt 1911 WWI Repro, meaning removed it after first removing firing pin spring and pin etc.. First time in the 6 mos I owned and shot it. Looked like both it and it's "tunnel" were fllthy. I felt better with them both cleaned; I don't know if the gun did.

But, is this a recommended cleaning-procedure on occasion, every few months or so? I know bending the extractor is possible and always "handle with care", so I wondered if any risk that way outweighed the cleaning value? Anyone do this when they do a thorough cleaning?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I rarely take it completely down after the initial first time. Usually a bristle brush and some oil cleans the exposed part of it well enough to satisfy me. It is not a moving/reciprocating part so if some grime gets in the tunnel it doesn't really affect it in my opinion. There is ample room to hide stuff in the tunnel. As for the possible bending of it I cannot with certainty answer that. My opinion is if you take it out straight and put it back in straight there is little chance of bending it. They are not that easy to bend if you have ever tried to fit an extractor.

But if you ask ten people a question like this you will get ten different answers...:eek:

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
With a gun I shoot frequently, I completely strip it down and detail-clean it about once a year including removing all the interior parts of the slide. I've never "bent" an extractor.

- - - Buckspen

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, sounds pretty harmless, though just cleaning the exposed end of the extractor with a bristle brush I also like too.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With a gun I shoot frequently, I completely strip it down and detail-clean it about once a year including removing all the interior parts of the slide. I've never "bent" an extractor.

- - - Buckspen
Just out of curiosity, which way do you bend the extractor to loosen it and which way to tighten it? Also, how do you know which is responsible for the FTEs, too loose or too tight?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I actually pressured one and it fell below the sear on a Colt Govt Mark IV 380. My GS bailed me out showing me that it is a simple common fix when falling below the sear.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Having tuned some extractors (by the time-honored process of letting the 1911 be its own tool kit), you have to 'lean' on them pretty hard to make much difference. That said, there's no really good reason to be detail stripping the pistol on a regular basis.
The design was originally meant to be military; it will tolerate some dirt.
Moon

·
Registered
852 Posts
Just out of curiosity, which way do you bend the extractor to loosen it and which way to tighten it? Also, how do you know which is responsible for the FTEs, too loose or too tight?
Quoting from memory (a dangerous thing), I seem to recall that an extractor is adjusted 'just right' when it will barely hold a loaded round against the breechface while the slide is off the gun.
Moon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts