Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, officially they're stocks, but I just have a hard time referring to a rubber one as a stock. Anyway, I'm looking for a recommendation for a good rubber "call it what you will" for my Python. I love the original wood stocks, but the checkering is still very sharp, and it scrapes my hand when I shoot .357's in it. I put a Pachmayr "Presentation" on it, but it is actually a little bit of a reach for my hand. I've seen some grips that don't cover the backstrap, and I think that would be the way to go. Any suggestions?

------------------
-Gun control means using both hands-
JR

·
Registered
21 Posts
Before you resort to rubber grips (stocks) on your Python, consider the Hogue smooth wooden stocks. I purchased a pair in Cocobolo with the finger grooves for $70 and couldn't be happier. I did use the Pachmayr rubber finger groove grips for a while and they were OK but the Hogues are a perfect fit and look FAR better.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
I also went the rubber route on my "serious" Pythons years ago.

My stainless guns came with the large Pachmayer "Presentation" grips that just didn't fit my short fingers.

Next I tried the Pachmayer "Professional" Gripper with the open back strap.
These worked well, but I was always bothered by the distance from the back strap to the front of the grip.

Finally, I tried the Hogue rubber "Mono-grip" and it's perfect. It's more compact than any of the Pachmayer models, feels better, and is more solidly held to the frame, so I don't notice any shifting like the Packmayer's do.

The only "Minus" (if it is) is the fact that you have to attach a steel stirrup mount to the bottom of the frame. This is a stirrup that is slipped over the frame and secured with a pin. It requires NO modifications or gunsmithing to the gun, and can be removed with no signs it was ever there.

So, after trying them all, I strongly recommend the Hogue rubber Mono-grip as the best of the available rubber Python grips.
It offers a much better grip, especially if you have average to smaller hands.

As an additional advantage, if you like the grip, Hogue makes the same design in fancy woods so you can "dress up".

·
Registered
535 Posts
I agree with the other gents. I use 1957 Colt .357 that's one of the pre-Python Colt mags. It's the same frame as the Official Police as is the original Trooper and then the Python. I have the rubber Hogue's, too but I'm still getting used to them. Years ago, I had two sets of Pachmayrs for a Python - the large was too large and the small, too small! Usually, I prefer the smaller, service stocks from an Official Police or short barrelled Python. They're very small and let one feel the frame of the gun. Ed McGivern would've approved! You may want to see about some Herret's made-to-measure grips. I like their Shooting Star, I think it's called, and I think their Roper grip may be of interest to us guys with less-than-Grizzly sized paws. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rodgers330:
Before you resort to rubber grips (stocks) on your Python, consider the Hogue smooth wooden stocks. I purchased a pair in Cocobolo with the finger grooves for $70 and couldn't be happier. I did use the Pachmayr rubber finger groove grips for a while and they were OK but the Hogues are a perfect fit and look FAR better.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts