Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ruger Single Six jammed lead between the barrel and cylinder so badly that the cylinder would not rotate and it was necessary to remove the cylinder in order to remove the lead.
The gun is in excellent shape and locks up tight on all chambers.
Is it possible for something to mess-up the mechanism and allow the cylinder to over or under rotate and still allow the hammer to fall and fire the gun?
Mac

·
Administrator
7,332 Posts
Is the lead coming from firing ? I've seen some of the cheap bulk ammo lead the barrels so badly that rounds wouldn't chamber and you couldn't get a cleaning rod through the barrel .

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The barrel was clean with no lead build-up. It appeared to be just the one round with a definite difference in the sound when it fired. I knew instantly that something was different.
Mac

·
Administrator
7,332 Posts
porsche said:
Was it a squib load?
mac said:
The barrel was clean with no lead build-up. It appeared to be just the one round with a definite difference in the sound when it fired. I knew instantly that something was different.
Mac
Sounds like no powder in the case . Bullet was propelled by the priming combustion .

Just curious as to what exact ammo you were using ? Remington 500/525 bulk ?

·
Registered
11,702 Posts
As Guy mentioned, I have seen revolvers locked up from too much lead build up at the forcing cone. I would think that unless the primer was defective also, the bullet would have been driven up the barrel if not all the way out. Most bulges in .22 barrels are from squib loads that hang up in the barrel, but normally the bullet makes it abut 10/12 inches up the barrel, and then another bullet is fired behind it bulging the barrel from the sudden impact of the second bullet with the first.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The general appearance was that the bullet shaved some lead at the barrel/forcing cone and that the major part of the bullet traveled through the barrel. It's as if the chamber was not lined-up with the barrel when the hammer dropped. Ammo was 40 grain CCI.
Mac

·
Registered
386 Posts
Had a Taurus 94, 2" that leaded the bore so badly after a box that it shot several feet low, wild shots, nowhere near aiming point. Scrubbing bore fixed it. Think it was R-P Thunderbolt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts