Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The local gun show rolled through again this weekend. Only a couple of Colts of any type were displayed. Very disappointing. However, in the last year one vendor way on the back wall with a few rifles and a couple of handguns has come through twice with guns that I took home. This time it was a Ruger light weight single six in the "tri-color" variation where the barrel frame and cylinder are all different materials and/or finishes resulting in the 3 color differences. The grip strap, frame and cylinder are aluminum with different finishes and the gun is only about 23 ounces. Made in 1956-1959 and this one still has the flat gate and unconverted. No extras came with it and I'm betting boxes are extra rare for this gun. I knew just a little about the gun, but as we all know with smart phones, I learned in minutes all about the gun, the rarity, and current value. His final price was much better than what I could find on GBroker sold items. I will post some photos when I get some for anyone interested later. It is in average condition for a used gun with thinning bluing and some worn edges, but no nicks or cracks or rust and the action is still on par with the Colt Scouts that also had aluminum parts. I'd give it a 90 percent, and I'm about 4.847 percent qualified to rate guns properly, for what it's worth. I try to stick with mint Colts and USFA's to take out that whole aspect. I believe a mint "Tri-color" with complete package would be large bills and really rare, but this used one fell in my lap, so I don't really know. If anyone has anything to share about this type of Single Six, I'm interested in finding out more.

Registered
I'd like to see some photos of this one when you get a chance. I have a pretty decent Single Six that is in pieces on my work table. (It's been that way for a couple of years now) - It's originally blued and I have a stainless grip frame and ejector housing that I am toying with the idea of making it a pinto. Why?? Just because I have the parts. I was thinking of finding a stainless cyl also.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really can't think of anything to say that can fully compliment your accomplishments as a Ruger collector, Rod. You may set the standard. Well done Sir.

Registered
Well I have a "few" of them.....this is one with the hard to find "GREEN WREATH" box....

I am going to bring a 16 gun display of these to Tulsa next month....RR

I also like the look of the box enough that I copied it in my gun room :cool: :cool: :cool:

All I can say is WOW! I have several Ruger's myself but again all I can say is WOW!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Upon removing all the lead and giving this gun a real good cleaning, I discovered why it needed one so badly. looks like there is a problem with chips in the aluminium frame around the firing pin. I'm no gunsmith, but I'm wondering if this is caused by alot of use, type of ammo used, or typical issue with aluminium frame?
Best course of action: can Ruger repair this ? If they cannot, would they keep the gun? If they can, is it a bad idea because they will convert it or make other changes? Leave as is and keep it in the Ruger collection until a better comes along?

Premium Member
I am pretty sure Ruger will not service your revolver except to install the safety kit.....

Looks like it was shot a bunch....but that's what they were made for....

Does it have any markings on the bottom in front of the trigger guard ??? RR.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am pretty sure Ruger will not service your revolver except to install the safety kit.....

Looks like it was shot a bunch....but that's what they were made for....

Does it have any markings on the bottom in front of the trigger guard ??? RR.
It does not have any marks other than the serial number that I could find.

Registered
That finish on the cylinder is what I believe was the "Martin Hard Coat" finish. And it was prone to chipping around the cuylinder slots.

But as to a find: You done good!

But one problem I have is that guns introduced such a short time ago (to me) are now scarce collector's items!

Bob Wright

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I understand that Bob. My manufacture/production/hatch date was in the 60's , so i'm not quite collector quality yet. Hopefully my body wont look like that inner frame when I am. You are correct that in my research, that is called the Martin Hard Coat finish on the cylinder.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've done a little "light" reading... (Pardon the pun there ) to come up to speed on the Lightweight model and those S stamped guns are the rarest of the rare. Those were the hold backs of the rare lightweights so those "seconds" are another collectors dream find. To have the box with a S gun is really something.

Premium Member
Well just for kicks....here is an S marked Bear Cat......and it is also marked with a D for duplicate serial number....

This is the only one known....the BC was the replacement for the LW....RR

Registered
Radicalrod has more of the s marked lightweights and bearcats in his amazing collection than any other collection I have seen or heard of. He lives to find those specialty Rugers don't ya Rod?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Radicalrod has more of the s marked lightweights and bearcats in his amazing collection than any other collection I have seen or heard of. He lives to find those specialty Rugers don't ya Rod?
I believe RR started collecting early on, would be my guess, and that dedication and deligence has outstanding results.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts