Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a used old model Vaquero. The gun is real tight, and I was told it had an action job. When cocked the bolt pops up quickly, way before the notch lead. Is that a problem? It is stainless, and I see only a very light drag line, which seems to be on all Rugers.

·
Registered
125 Posts
GREAT GUNS. THE OLD MODEL IS LARGER THAN THE NEW MODEL. HOPE YOU'RE NOT USING IT FOR QUICK DRAW. THE BOLT TIMING IS OFF BUT IT'S NO BIG DEAL. I'VE HAD THREE( 2 .45LC AND 1 .44 MAG) ALL HAD SAME BOLT ISSUE.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I personally enjoy shooting the large frame Vaqueros. They're solid as a vault and the barrels are beautifully made. The New Model guns are very nearly the same size as the SAA - little too small for high power loads, IMO. The major complaint is the grip frame (XR3RED as opposed to the original XR3), but if you can get past that, they're fantastic.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
The New Model guns are very nearly the same size as the SAA - little too small for high power loads, IMO. The major complaint is the grip frame (XR3RED as opposed to the original XR3), but if you can get past that, they're fantastic.
I don't have a New Vaquero, but my understanding is that they have the same grip frame as the Flat Top Blackhawks, that is, the New XR-3. Grips for New Vaqueros won't fit New Model Blackhawks.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
That problem can be fixed by a competent gunsmith John...so, if you tell the seller the obvious problem may be a deal breaker, and will cost you to fix it, maybe the price will drop a little to move it out of inventory.

Ask me how I know...

Original Model Bisley Vaquero { Blackhawk Frame ~ circa 2004}

Original Model Vaquero Production Years:

https:// ruger.com/service/productHistory/RE-Vaquero.html

·
Registered
76 Posts
I can't quickly find the source....but IIRC Bill Ruger intentionally designed revolvers to drop the bolt earlier than others so as to ensure engagement. With cowboy shooting and fast action regular revolvers were prone to spin past the lockup point. A safety measure. Known as the "Ruger ring". On my stainless New Vaquero a slight bit of bolt polishing greatly reduced the marking and what does get marked polishes out easily.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I had a pair of old model Vaqueros in .44 Magnum (only shot .44 Special loads though) with the bright stainless finish. I shot a LOT of cowboy matches with those guns, never had a problem and really liked them. The bright stainless finish cleans up very easily.
- -Bruce in Ohio

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
How do you know the difference of the old model vs the new model? View attachment 700814 View attachment 700814
The original Vaquero's had a 2 digit serial number prefix...with the larger Blackhawk frame and beefy fire any hot load cylinder.

The new Vaquero's have a 3 digit serial number prefix...a smaller, close but not quite sized SAA frame with a cylinder not rated for hot loads.

If you looked at the Ruger original serial number chart I linked above...your specimen is a 2 digit prefix original model.

56-012181996
56-300051997
56-720041998
56-988381999

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the gun was set up to do this for fast cocking. It has a great trigger, and the cylinder rotates forward and backward when the loading gate is open, I believe that is a gunsmith modification on the old Vaqueros..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts