Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am helping a lady sell her husbands guns in order to donate the money to a church in Africa and one of the guns is a 3rd generation Colt SSA 71/2" bbl 45LC Nickel. It has the box and instructions and according to her husbands last entry into his log book he never shot it and bought it new, but someone has wiped the gun down with some type of solvent and now the nickel is frosted on about 70% of the gun. What kind of value should I put on the gun in order to sell it? Thanks in advance

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
I don't think anyone can give you a usable answer online, since we can't actually examine the gun.

The problem is, judging a gun's actual condition is VERY subjective, and requires a close look at it.

Having a case of a new in the box Third Gen Colt SAA, BUT with 70%???? "frosted" finish would require an expert to judge.

Questions like, "how much is really damaged", "how "frosty" is frosty" can make the difference in hundreds or dollars in value.

Assuming an expert would rate the gun at a true 70%, a nickel .45 Colt Third gen gun would be worth "about" $600.00.

Likely an expert would rate the gun higher, especially if the frosting doesn't look that bad, OR the expert thought careful polishing with something like Flitz metal polish might help the appearance.

DO NOT do this without an expert's opinion.
Likely, attempts to polish the finish could well do MORE damage, lowering the price even further.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 04-25-2005).]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfariswheel:
Assuming an expert would rate the gun at a true 70%, a nickel .45 Colt Third gen gun would be worth "about" $600.00.
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with what you have said. I collect S&W revolvers and feel pretty positive that the finish is ruined and would grade the gun at 70% and the $600.00 value. The frosted area looks like it is a dull aluminum with almost a sandpaper type feel to it. She also has another gun that I cannot seem to find any information about. It is a Colt Python Silver Snake edition 1 of 250. It has a 6" bbl and rubber grips NIB. I plan to post a question about this one as well as far as it's value.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts