Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone. Today, I visited a lgs that I haden't been in since very early spring. The racks were filled with the usual tired looking used long guns..plenty of brand new ones..but when I went over to the handgun dept...there were hardly any revolvers..new or used. Last time, there were half a dozen used Pythons, some in box & lots of S&W..now nothing! I noticed this at another area shop also..lots and lots of auto's though..was there a run on revolvers?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Yes, there has been a run on good handguns in general but especially revolvers. Its not just in your neck of the woods. Supply is down, prices are high and the demand is higher. I generally make about 50 shops a week in 4 states just to see what they have traded for,,,,, its sad all over. No good used inventory anywhere. Most shops sell a good gun within the same day they put in on the shelf, if your not there you miss out. But you can still find all the Glocks and Kel-techs you want. I hunt for good guns daily and its as tough as its ever been for me. Most days I just waste my time and gas anymore.

John

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thats a very interesting couple of observations, cant help but wonder why, is the cheap semi-auto craze wearing thin and people are coming back to time tested pieces?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Thats a very interesting couple of observations, cant help but wonder why, is the cheap semi-auto craze wearing thin and people are coming back to time tested pieces?
Simple answer...yes. But there is something else going on here. With this economy nothing earns you much return. Not savings in the bank, bonds or a very flaky market. I bought a KelTec more than 15 years ago. With less than 100 rounds through it, I sold it the other day for just under what I paid. Why did it return so little in an inflationary world? Because our world is flooded with new and used KelTecs. Not true of revolvers by Colt or S&W. Quality things that are no longer made always appreciate in value. Plus they are damn fine just to own because they are useful as well. If things get any worse...well it should be easy to turn a profit when fear rules and they might save your life someday. Pretty compelling reason to own them.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Interesting thoughts. I agree on the superior quality of handguns made decades ago...or at least, the superior aesthetics. I also suspect the internet has something do to with it, in that firearms forums act as enablers, or cheering sections, encouraging more people to buy these weapons than used to be the case.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I agree with Merwin2.
The demand for nice older guns is up, especially the pre-lock S&Ws. I see a lot of polimer autos in the shops I go to, but fine S&Ws & Colts are usually sparce & if there is one there, it's got a premium price on it.
I also think the fella's, myself included, carry revolvers into the woods when we pack a gun in the hills. I know I do I'm thinking of the real using guns. I'm not running down the Glocks, I carried one on duty for a number of years & came to like it. I still carry one when I go into the big cities where predators run in packs. For relaxing at the range, or hunting or just poking around in the hills, I carry a revolver.
Frank

·
Registered
107 Posts
I saw some older Colts at the local shop and a Trooper for 579 debating on putting that one on layaway but the wife would kill me if I did.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think it's also possible that first time buyers, scared about the future/crime/the economy and newly minted "survivalist/prepper" types are buying them up. They're perfect for folks new to hanguns. Although they're probably not necessarily buying collectible guns.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just picked up a beautiful brand new P1850 SAA last week, which had just come in. Hadn't seen one of them in a long time, and just had to have it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My kids got out of College in Jan. 2011 so I bought most of the guns on my wish list the last few years, an AR, AK, a few Sig Sauer hand guns, WWII M1 Carbine. Then my last gun I've wanted was a 4" SS King Cobra I have wanted since they 1st came out. Oh was that a mistake last year. Since then all my gun buys have been colt revolvers. Police Positive V, Police Positive Special, 94 DS, 74 DS, and I have to go pick up a Pre-war Officers Target at my local gun shop when I get home. Its funny how the old Colts are moving the new Sig's out of the pistol safe. I'm never going to be the collector like some of you, but I have started watching for a Nice Diamondback with no holster wear. I just don't know if its worth listening to the woman bitch how I spent $1000+ on a used handgun.;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Can't find a nice Ruger Redhawk in a LGS. Can't find any Ruger GP100's either. I used to see SAA's from time to time, and now I never see them anymore.

What is scaring me more than anything is that primers seemed to have vanished as well. I'm thinking instead of buying more guns, I might be better off buying as many reloading supplies I can. God help us if the Kenyan gets re-elected.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts