Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all! I'm pretty new here, actually, i'm pretty new to the whole field of Colt collecting and information... But, i've recently become more than just a little bit interested in 1911's & 1911A1's... My question to other forum members is, I've seen examples (pictures) of colt .45's that were supposedly sent to Russia for WWII, they appear to be 1911's, not A1's??? Why would this be?? And if so...how many are probably here in the states?? How many 1911A1's also?? thanks in advance for your comments! best to all, til...lat'r...GT

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi GT,
At one time I had a nice collection of Colt 1911-11-A1's. Had a very nice Russian, yes they were all 1911's, not A-1's, but they were supposed to have been sent for WW 1 not WW 2, as far as how many are in the states I would say all of them. I may be wrong but I don't think any of them got to Russia.

I shot in Russia for two weeks in 1991 and did a lot of asking the "right" people and looking around in the "right" places, no luck.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by glt46:
Hello to all! I'm pretty new here, actually, i'm pretty new to the whole field of Colt collecting and information... But, i've recently become more than just a little bit interested in 1911's & 1911A1's... My question to other forum members is, I've seen examples (pictures) of colt .45's that were supposedly sent to Russia for WWII, they appear to be 1911's, not A1's??? Why would this be?? And if so...how many are probably here in the states?? How many 1911A1's also?? thanks in advance for your comments! best to all, til...lat'r...GT <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks IP! They look like an interesting unit... I appreciate the info... looked up the serial range last night after I posted here, and there seems to be quit a few of them made... I thought i'd only collect 1911A1's... but the 1911's have an allure all their own, I'm hopelessly hooked!! Thanks again for the note! best to you, til...lat'r...GT

G

·
0 Posts
Examine any Russian Colt carefully as they are not common and fairly easy to fake. I almost bought a bogus one last year. 51,100 of them were shipped to Russia and except for 3,000 that got diverted to Finland they seem to have dissapated within Russia as they are not commonly seen. Many collectors don't realize that of the roughly 200,000 Government Models (commercial) pistols made by Colt from 1912 to 1942, more than 60% of them were shipped overseas to fill foreign military contracts. The 51,100 to Russia alone was more than 25% of total production for 30 years. Latin American countries took more than 50,000, France bought 5,000. A few thousand were shipped to places like Shanghai, Egypt, Haiti, Philippines...

·
Registered
153 Posts
OK, I guess some of the Russian marked Colts got there but no one I talked to when I was there knew anything about them, and as I've said, I talked to the "right" people that should have known. What I thought was unusual when I was collecting the 1911-11-A1's is that I "found" about 10 + of them in about a 5 year period at gun shows, all of them were in very nice condition, at least 80 % or better. From my experience with the Russians in 1991 none of them took care of anything issued by the Govt. of course that was a different time and maybe things were different back in the teens but I've never really seen a "bad" original Russian 1911 but I have seen fake ones that were bad looking.

For you guys that have a copy of Chuck Clawson's fine book on 1911's check out the pictuer of the Colt-Russian in his book, that's about as bad as I've seen them and that gun is about 80 %, this I'm sure of because that was one of my guns.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kwill1911:
Examine any Russian Colt carefully as they are not common and fairly easy to fake. I almost bought a bogus one last year. 51,100 of them were shipped to Russia and except for 3,000 that got diverted to Finland they seem to have dissapated within Russia as they are not commonly seen. Many collectors don't realize that of the roughly 200,000 Government Models (commercial) pistols made by Colt from 1912 to 1942, more than 60% of them were shipped overseas to fill foreign military contracts. The 51,100 to Russia alone was more than 25% of total production for 30 years. Latin American countries took more than 50,000, France bought 5,000. A few thousand were shipped to places like Shanghai, Egypt, Haiti, Philippines...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts