Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have 1978 Python. There is a hard spot when pulling hammer into S/A right at the end. Not every time but almost.

This hard spot goes away with the cylinder open. It is perfect then.

Have the book, took the side plate off, cleaned and lubed, problem still there.

Only thing different when cylinder is open is no engagement of the cylinder bolt, correct? Looking at cylinder bolt through a 10x looks good. Notches in cylinder look good.

There is correct cylinder end play. My thought is to polish the cylinder bolt.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
had this issue since i have owned it. ejector rod has not backed out.

funny you should mention that, have another (1986) Python that the crane bushing backed completely out, causing a mess.

education is expensive.

Been going over pages 80 and 81 in "the" book.

Don't want to make any modifications without more input. Appreciate. I was Jaguar mechanic for years and can relate to diagnosis without touching.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Don't mess with the bolt. As long as you have the book, look at hand seating on page 119. The hard spot is likely a slightly long lower hand trying to push the cylinder just a little farther into lockup than is can possibly go. Do not file the hand either. It will get short soon enough. The "not every time" is likely the minor differences among ratchet fingers. Put a dab of grease on the trigger sear and hammer toe if you have not. This would occur most if the gun has not been shot much or had a hand stretched or new one fitted. There are other possibilities and perhaps dfariswheel or someone has a different thought, but that is my first take. :cool:

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
I think A1A is right about hand interference with the ratchet. I had something like it on a New Sevice and found it to be on the down side of a couple ratchets (meaning not where the hand pushes). I finally found it carefully examining the ratchet for a shiny contact mark taking the blue off. A little attention at the shiny places fixed it. Not to mess with the hand or the lift side of the ratchet notches.

I explained it as when the hand is pushing a notch up, there was contact of the hand with the rising next notch.

This was when I was fitting a 1909 cylinder to a 1917 and may have nothing to do with a Python.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts