Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what a "S.H. & P.W.C." marking represents on the heel of an old Official Police revolver from the 1930's?
My LGS just traded for one recently..

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
State Highway and Public Works Commission (North Carolina). The North Carolina Highway Patrol was a division of the State Highway Commission from 1929 until 1941.

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
State Highway and Public Works Commission (North Carolina). The North Carolina Highway Patrol was a division of the State Highway Commission from 1929 until 1941.
up196, thanks for that info. Are you pretty sure that (abbreviation)... only applies to NCHP? I'm in NC so that makes sense although I've never heard any chatter about old HP service revolvers or how they were marked.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
up196, thanks for that info. Are you pretty sure that (abbreviation)... only applies to NCHP? I'm in NC so that makes sense although I've never heard any chatter about old HP service revolvers or how they were marked.
Don't know if it only applies to North Carolina, but it is a unique wording of a state agency which, coincidentally, had a law enforcement division in the time frame or your revolver's manufacture. In addition, in 1931, the State Prison System was merged with the State Highway Commission, so I'm sure they might have needed revolvers as well, as they operated road camps and used inmate labor to work on the highways.

Reactions: RDS and Sparebux
1 - 9 of 9 Posts