Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know approximately when Smith & Wesson made .22LR rimfire ammo? Found a full box for $25 and was wondering how period correct (for display only) they would be for my Woodsman MT 2nd Series made in 1952. Close would work considering low price. Don't really want to pay big bucks for old Remington .22LR since for display only. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'm going to say S&W ammo was made no earlier than the mid 1970s, certainly not in 1952. Boxes of .22 ammunition from the 1950s are generally pretty easy to come by at gun shows, etc. and shouldn't cost $25. But you need to know what to look for.

Go to the International Ammunition Association (IAA) website. You can access ammunition catalogs going back to early in the 20th Century that show pictures of typical boxes. See: Ammunition Catalogs - International Ammunition Association

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, DWalt. Kinda figured they were circa 1970's. Back in 1979 I bought a S&W pellet gun NIB .22 replica of a S&W Model 41. Came with 2 blue CO2 cylinders marked S&W. Also made in .177. Wish I still had it.

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
Early 1970's.

What you want will be older Winchester or Remington.

I'll look at my stuff to see if there are duplicates.

Do you require a full box, or will an empty one do for display?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dog,

Either a full box (ideally) or just the box. For display only. Older "green" box LR standard velocity or match ammo circa 1952 would be the nuts! But any .22lr box of 1950's era will do. Thanks for looking!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.