Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
A friend of mine has a Smith 28 with a 6" barrel that he bought back in 1982 or 83. He has plenty of other handguns to shoot these days but when he really needs to make the shot he uses his 28. He calls it his "meat gun." Anything he tries to hit with it is dead meat. Just a great shooting heavy duty .357 Magnum revolver.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I have a couple of Highway Patrolman revolvers as well. One from 1960, and the other from 1970. I'll see if I can find photos.

Here is my October 1960 HP:

Here is one shipped Augut 1970:

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
OK, you guys made me dig through my safe. $123 ($690 today) for the 1973 with Hogues and $135 ($626 today) for the 1975 with target stocks. Well, we thought those were the days...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
I have a couple of Highway Patrolman revolvers as well. One from 1960, and the other from 1970. I'll see if I can find photos. Here is my October 1960 HP: Here is one shipped Augut 1970:
Hard working, no frills revolvers with honest wear on them. Something attractive about that.

6" Model 28s were the issue revolver for the Washington State Patrol for decades. The WSP had a minimum height of a manly 6' for troopers. But, when all of that went away, some of the new-gen 5'2" troopers were barely able to lift the 28!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I was thinking about buying a 27-2 but after handling my 4 inch 28-2 ,I reconnected with what matters. No nonsense quality. I am sticking with the HP !
Nice score OP. Glad you shared it with us!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Best I can tell, the rather rotund young deputy on the T V show Longmire; "Ferg", carries a 28 with magna grips as his sidearm. Don't know what the more interesting deputy carries as her sidearm. (or if she even has one. :D )

I always found it interesting that while the 28s have a reputation as sporting a finish that is considered dull or drab by comparison to it's brother, the model 27; there are actually quite a few with a more polished and bright finish than you might expect.
Not in quite the same class of polish as the 27, but sometimes pretty close. They do not however, have one of the really good looking defining features of the 27,... the finely checkered top rib.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I was thinking about buying a 27-2 but after handling my 4 inch 28-2 ,I reconnected with what matters. No nonsense quality. I am sticking with the HP !
Nice score OP. Glad you shared it with us!
I agree and am down to one M27, 3 1/2" which I will let go prior to selling my M28 if deciding between the two.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Best I can tell, the rather rotund young deputy on the T V show Longmire; "Ferg", carries a 28 with magna grips as his sidearm. Don't know what the more interesting deputy carries as her sidearm. (or if she even has one. :D )

I always found it interesting that while the 28s have a reputation as sporting a finish that is considered dull or drab by comparison to it's brother, the model 27; there are actually quite a few with a more polished and bright finish than you might expect.
Not in quite the same class of polish as the 27, but sometimes pretty close. They do not however, have one of the really good looking defining features of the 27,... the finely checkered top rib.
Interesting about the m28 finish variance. Mine from the 80s has a satin blue with sandblasted frame edging and barrel top. The cylinder looks a bit shinier all around. I also have seen pictures of m28s with what appeared to be non dull finishes. Other pictures showing a duller finish.
Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts