Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else notice that most all the new Smith revolvers shown in ads in the gun rags are positioned so that their lock isn't visible? If S&W and all the gun writers apparently think the lock is no big deal then I wonder why when ad time comes they try to 'hide' it...

I wish Colt were still making DAs, however at least the Python was spared the indignity of a stupid PC lock.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Not buying the lock. The company can close its doors if the lock stays as far as I'm concerned for I won't have one.

The current IL, MIM, and 2-piece-barrel revolvers are just as different from traditional Smith & Wesson revolvers as a competitor's revolver is different. One is kidding himself if he thinks otherwise.

The lock is insulting to the purchaser. It says that he can't be trusted with the revolver so this "non-safety" feature has been engineered into it. The lock can't replace responsibility but it certainly does add unnecessary baggage to the revolver.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I only own one S&W with the lock, only because it never was made with-out the lock.
I plan on buying used or NIB S&W Wheels until they come out with a .600 Magnum. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Then I may buy just one more with the lock. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I had to put on my sunglasses to view that revolver! That's the nicest .500 I've seen.

I've decided to stick with .44 Magnum for top handgun power. I'd get a kick out of trying someone elses .500.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I like the old Smith's but I wont buy any newer ones.I been thinking about buying that Emergency Survival Kit in 500 mag though.That's only because a writer in Gun Digest said it might just be a sleeper.I also kinda like the packageing of the kit,,,,orange box,orange grips,,wow what a sales gimmick!

·
Registered
154 Posts
In a moment of weakness I bought a S&W with the lock. It aggravated me so much every time I looked at it, I sold it and will never buy another. I believe the locks, MIM parts, no blued guns only bothers hard core collectors, and we are of little importance as far as the manufacturers are concerned. Well I quess in fairness, at least S&W is still making revolvers.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Re: S&W lock = The Belly Button of Shame

Yeah, I think they do try to hide it in their advertising.

I have only bought a Model 360 Scandium snubby from a private owner. It is quite a handful but is really a potent little package if DAed. I would prefer the thing be a centennial, and sans the belly button, but the price was right so I snagged it.

Mea culpa!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I bought a new S&W 686+ .357 that had the lock. I had no problems with it, but was not thrilled with the way the lock detracted from the looks of the gun. I sold it and bought a pre-lock 586. I also have a Model 29 .44 mag 50th Anniversary which has a lock, but you can't get them without it.

John

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Don't own anything with a lock. Probably never will. The tiny few S&W's I own are all pre-lock models.
With the constant threat of Junk Lawsuits hanging over the industrys head I can't imagine them ever going away though.
People who don't like them will just have to buy old guns or learn to live with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I own one S&W with the lock and shot a couple of .500's, which obviously had the lock. All three shoot/shot like champs, much better than some of the older 'Smiths I've owned, and some of them were fantastic. I don't like the lock, or the look of it, but it interferes in now way with the operation of the guns, so I'll keep and continue to use them. I've written S&W and offered my criticism of the lock, and hope they drop it. Let's face it, we can use cable locks through the charge holes if we feel the need to lock our revolvers, and in truth, it will hurt sales. Ruger doesn't do it and Taurus has a better idea for a lock in my mind, so 'Smith better rethink it. All in all, though, they still make some fine guns. Let's face it, they ARE still selling to the public, unlike another company whom I won't mention......

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
The new Smith & Wessons must shoot very well indeed to shoot better than the old favorite traditional models in my collection. There's been so many posts over on the S&W forum about locks and glitches that many are going mad when they see a new "lock" thread.

To me the lock represents a mechanical device that always has the potential to tie up the revolver so equipped. My S&W revolvers will never be tied up due to a faulty lock.

The traditional S&W revolvers shoot very well. I purchased this revolver brand new when the Hunt brothers drove up silver prices in 1980 by selling a handful of silver dimes. I recently entered an informal match shooting ten shots at ten yards for group. First prize was the Cold Steel Folder knife. The Model 14 K-38 Masterpiece still groups well. Of course it's cheating to use it as that long barrel is closer to the target. I hadn't been in possession of the knife for 15 seconds when I'd cut my left thumb with it hence the photo with my thumb sticking up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts