Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Paid $470 for this one. Got it from a co-worker. It belonged to his grandfather who purchased it new in 74 and then carried in in his RV. A sock drawer gun if you like. He isn't big on revolvers and his grandfather (who is still alive) suggested that he sale it. He knows I'm a big revolver fan and knew that at least with me it would go to somebody who would appreciate it. And he's right. Very excited. Model 19's are getting harder to find and the co-worker needs $500 to buy a dedicated 22 upper reciever for one of his AR-15's. So he wasn't out to gouge me which I also appreciate.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
I love model 19 revolvers and you did good with this one. (Even though your title says model 16) ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
The model 16 is chambered in .32 S&W Long and is more like a model 14 or 15 with no ejector shroud or underlug. Anyway...To me the model 19 is the best of the later S&W revolvers. .357 magnum in a K-frame, square butt, blued steel, wood target grips, perfect! Still have the box, even. I think that you got a great deal.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
470.00 for that? Yeah, I'd be bragging on every gun forum I could find. Winchester Forum. Sako Forum. Hey, AK guys, eat your hearts out!

I bought a mint 19-7 snub last year for the same price. Got to love that Combat Magnum.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I bought one in similar condition for $350.00 no box about 5 years ago,my Son borrowed it and I have not seen it since. He says he cant't shoot any handgun as well as he shoots the S&W Mdl 19-1,guess Dad will have to find one for himself.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Great buy and a great gun. There is something about the way the M19 fits my hand and points that makes it a natural, much the same feel as I get from a SAA or a Python. I carried a M19 (as well as other K frames) as a duty gun in several variations over the years and never felt under gunned. You did well. Now go shoot it!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've always liked the way the K frame fits my hand. I've been wanting a Model 19 for many years and as everyone knows they've gotten harder to find. Personally I've found it easier to find the 2.5" and 4" versions, but the 6" has been harder for me to find.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I like Colts ,but I have put more rounds through a 6 inch 19 and a 6 inch 17 than any other revolvers. The 19 is just a great classic revolver. Now get a 22model17 to go with it. Enjoy

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
That sure is a clean 6-inch, Checkman. Good length for a .357 Magnum to take hunting.

A nickel 4-inch lives around here.

I've always wanted this exact gun. With recessed chambers like this, of course. Around 1978 I knew an older woman, she must have been 26, who had an elegant 6" barrel Model 19 like in the O.P. It was a fine gun. She bought hand loads for it that I told her were too hot because they wouldn't extract without a lot of force. She was only 5' tall but handled the recoil fine. The K frames are probably the most universally comfortable guns ever. I passed up a 2 1/2" 19-2 a couple years ago like an idiot because it wouldn't stay cocked on SA. I should have bought it and had it fixed. They are harder to fine in California than a Republican. I also felt it was a redundant gun since I have a 3" Model 13. Then I look at my Colt SAA's and think, since when did redundancy matter.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
If 26 is older do you look for your women at the high school? Lol, love the typos
I've always wanted this exact gun. With recessed chambers like this, of course. Years ago I knew an older woman, she must have been 26, who had an elegant 6" barrel Model 19 like in the O.P. It was a fine gun. She bought hand loads for it that I told her were too hot because they wouldn't extract without a lot of force. She was only 5' tall but handled the recoil fine. The K frames are probably the most universally comfortable guns ever. I passed up a 2 1/2" 19-2 a couple years ago like an idiot because it wouldn't stay cocked on SA. I should have bought it and had it fixed. They are harder to fine in California than a Republican.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
If 26 is older do you look for your women at the high school? Lol, love the typos
No typo. I was 20. It was longer ago than I made it sound, I guess. Meanwhile, here's the infant brother of that 6" Model 19. When it grows up it will look just like it. This Model 13-3 has a very smooth action and a great packin' camp gun. But then so is every K frame .357.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts