Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to some good input here on the forum I decided to pull the trigger on a S&W 51 today. Can anyone help with the serial numbers? Thanks-

img hosting

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My S&W experience is mid-80s and up. This thing is out of my wheelhouse. I swear the cylinder is K-frame size, not J-frame.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's a real nice K-22 masterpiece 5screw from about 1950..if the numbers inside the RH grip match, that's a real, real nice K-22 from 1950....Love it! sweet revolvers!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes, that's the likely manufacture year, not always the year it was shipped from the factory. only a factory letter will tell that...the number you are looking at is an assembly number use to keep parts together as a unit.....if all orig., that revolver will have matching numbers in (6) places.....under barrel, bottom of frame,back of cyl., inside of yoke (crane), back side of extractor star, grips.....IMHO........Great revolvers, also known as pre17

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jeez I had to take photos with my phone and then zoom but you're spot on- it all matches where it should. Pre-17. Thank you.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Very nice pre-17. With the K prefix on the serial number, why did you first think it was a J-frame? Is that a star between the K and the s/n? Your pre-17 was made in 1950 (a birth year gun for me;)) S&W didn't start assigning and stamping model numbers until 1957. Beautiful stocks that should number to the gun. Take them off and post an image of the left side of the grip frame. I'm guessing it's been back to S&W for repair or refinish. There will be stamps and a date on the grip frame.

You'll notice the gun on the right has been back to S&W twice, once in Nov. 1964 and again in October 1975.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Rick, I bet you're guessing right! with that pic quality I first thought that was something on camera lens,but,as you say, sure could be a rework star.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey everyone thanks for all this info.

I thought the 51 was the model number, which is why I though it was a J-frame. Idiot move on my part.

The right grip panel has the same number found in other places on the gun, while the left was oddly marked in 1984.

Saintcla

I'll take them back odd after work and check the grip frame.

Saintclair, that's a really nice example as well.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Holy smokes this thing is fun to shoot. It's one of the smoothest mechanical devices I've ever used. I shot until my hands were too cold to load anymore.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well thank you Rick. Live and learn like you said. These older Smiths are new too me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts