Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Back in the 80's you could not give one of those away. I sold two practically new ones for $225.00-250.00 I'd like to have them back (to sell again)

Reactions: saintclair

·
Registered
532 Posts
This one shipped in March, 1965. I can't figure out why, but someone polished and blued the hammer. Hopefully they didn't take the casehardening off the notches. It shoots the mid-range stuff well, but it's been a quite a few years since I've shot it, now it's just sits sad and alone in the safe. These grips came on the gun when I bought it, but they're not original.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I can't find it online, but remember a picture of Bill Jordan holding a 57 or 58 high on the grip. It looked like my hands holding on to a Model 10.

I think the main problem, besides the whole "police load vs. hunting load" issue that also reared its head during the 10mm days, was the size of the gun. From what I understand, those departments that already had big frame .357s weren't the ones moving to 58s --- it was those with .38s. Now you had a much heavier service weapon that, even with the police load, kicked harder.

There was a local guy selling a nickel 58 that I probably should have bought. Can't get 'em all :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Feralmerril,

Yes, I believe you are right about the SF PD; also either the Dallas or San Antonio PD.

The .41 was authorized by Police Commissioner Orlando Wilson in Chicago and a number of
patrolmen carried them. One told me how his comrades, who didn't look close, just assumed
it was a standard Model 10.

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
I bought the first Ruger Blackhawk I seen in .41 mag. (about 1971??). My buddy had a .44 mag super blackhawk. We shot them side by side. Mine kicked harder and recoiled higher than his. That was almost fifty years ago and I cant remember what loads we both had so that could have been the difference.

·
Premium Member
19,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Decades ago, a friend of mine told me about bear hunting in Alaska. He said that after shooting a charging bear (I think a Grizzly) three times with his high power rifle before it jammed, he dropped the rifle and shot the bear with his 41 mag when it was within a few feet of him. He lived to tell about it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Nice find! I've had both the 57 and 58, both were blued guns with 4" barrels. The 58's are hard to come by in Canada. I let mine go to buy Colt's! :p Lol, I do miss the 58 for sure. Cozmo started the .41 Special discussion the other day and it reminded me that I had planned to load and run .41 Specials in that 58 before I foolishly let it go. It wasn't two days after that .41 Special thread went up that I missed a 58 for cheap! I guess I'm back on the hunt for one.

·
Registered
12,844 Posts
Here are pictures of a recently acquired S&W M-58 in 41 magnum. This one is from about 1968 and has the matching SN diamond grips and S serial number.

View attachment 645249

View attachment 645251

View attachment 645253

View attachment 645255
I like the Model 58, and it is fun to see you found such a nice one!

I have one also, and I only fired it one time, using the original Remington Cartridges which were the 'stout' Loading.

It sure impressed me!

Lol...

Yikes!

Glad I was hanging on to it well.

I always shot one Handed so, that was a handful..!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts