Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this just because I thought it was interesting. It's an 1860 Italian grip frame, maker unknown, very nice wood, modified with trigger guard removed and trigger hole plugged up nicely. Bare metal backstrap. The grip feels fantastic. I'm not sure what I'll do with it but here it is on an Italian SA just to check the fit and feel. Not a perfect fit here but close. I need an 1860 main spring and a main spring screw that fits this frame. It's weird, not most people's cup of tea, yet fascinating just to goof off with maybe. I visualize a Bass Outlaw belly gun here. (Yeah, I know. It's on concrete. This gun is not meant to look pristine)

·
Registered
9,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just installed a Colt SAA mainspring using a screw that just happens to fit. Now it's a functioning fanner! No, I don't fan guns but it works. That lack of a trigger guard is weird because I practice twirling and have to not subconsciously spin this thing because it'll go flying across the room. This trigger guard was modified by a New Mexico gunsmith and there's a "BO" stamped in it. I doubt it was done by Borack Obama but the seller could probably tell me who did it. This is just a fun novelty treatment that can be changed back in a few minutes. but I kind of like it.

·
Registered
9,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AND CHOP OFF THE BARREL!

Yep, there's Bass Outlaws gun. He used it to ill effect shooting a Texas Ranger in the head and John Selman in the leg twice before Selman mortally wounded him. I think Bass shot this gun so close to Selman's face, with one of his shots the powder burns permanently damaged his vision. I wonder how Bass shot this, one handed or two. To slip shoot a gun like this I think a stubby and lower slip hammer like Elmer Keith shows pictures of in Sixguns would be perfect here. 5 1/2" is my least favorite barrel length but it balances well with this longer grip frame, visually and physically.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.