Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Family Heirloom recently restored. While initially working flawlessly, have recent problem cropped up (after around 150 rounds) with Hornady ammo (cowboy loads) interfering with rotation of cylinder causing lockup of revolving mechanism when loading the fourth round (skipping one). Sometimes by "helping" the cylinder it will rotate. The only non forcing way to fix it is to remove the cylinder. Note: gun (barrel and cylinder) is diligently cleaned after each session. Not being a SAA expert, looking for suggestions from the deep SAA knowledge pool on ammo and commonality of the problem. Pictures of recoil plate (with brass sliver) and cartridge (with marks) attached. Gun has replacement barrel and cylinder (Lanara full restoration).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
No one doing restorations deliberately drives out a perfectly tight and staked in place firing pin bushing. But, after 130 plus years, plates can an do work free after 200 rounds of new shooting.
That's why they make replacements I reckon....

jp

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
My teenage fix ----- I'd cut a wood dowel, biggest that will go down the bore, cut to length to reach from recoil plate & half inch out the muzzle with ends at 90 degree cut. Drive the recoil plate back flush. Shoot some more. If it comes unseated again or can't re-seat in the first try, turn the job over to someone competent to fix it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sent back to Lanara today. He, of course, has a slightly oversize bushings for a permanent fix. Best I can figure the gun was not shot, prior to restoration, since the turn of the 19th century. It is nice to have it back in running condition. Great fun with my boys explaining why you don't load 6 rounds and how you load 5. The local range floaters, as always, have to take a look also. There is something about fresh case hardening finish.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Family Heirloom recently restored. While initially working flawlessly, have recent problem cropped up (after around 150 rounds) with Hornady ammo (cowboy loads) interfering with rotation of cylinder causing lockup of revolving mechanism when loading the fourth round (skipping one). Sometimes by "helping" the cylinder it will rotate. The only non forcing way to fix it is to remove the cylinder. Note: gun (barrel and cylinder) is diligently cleaned after each session. Not being a SAA expert, looking for suggestions from the deep SAA knowledge pool on ammo and commonality of the problem. Pictures of recoil plate (with brass sliver) and cartridge (with marks) attached. Gun has replacement barrel and cylinder (Lanara full restoration).
That would be why it is getting stuck on the 4th case because that is how many shells it takes for the cylinder to move around and the 1st shell you put in to get held up on the bushing.

Mine was getting held up because of the loading gate pushing out a bit when I flicked it open. I had to flip the pin inside so the unbeveled bottom was on top in order to assure it stayed put without movement. Must have been a factory flaw on mine, but it's a 3rd gen.

Reactions: 55rover

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Reminded me of being at the End of Trail shoot in California years ago. The Colt rep invited me to shoot one of their SA's in a side match. After four shots, the ejector housing flew down range along with the stud and screw. "Happens at the factory all the time" he commented.

JP

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Modern smokeless ammo in an 1882 gun? :rolleyes:

Reactions: ethompson

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1882 Frame with new cylinder and barrel. No issues with modern ammo but I don't shoot anything but light "cowboy" loads. Too valuable a heirloom.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is great to see how a good picture, when presented to forum members, can
lead to a quick determination of the problem.
In my profession I use (and monitor) a lot of forums. I also use a few other forums for distributing and acquiring other hobby information. The Colt Forum is very refreshing as to its knowledge depth, refereeing and high level of respect within its members (not to say there are not differing opinions). ***** stars from my perspective.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
No SAA expert here, but in photo it appears there is a very tiny metal chip/sliver "lodged" between the firing pin bushing and the breach face... just a guess, as it could be just a piece of lint or something!

nowinca

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fixed, photo of repaired striker plate. Not overly obvious that it is different than before. A few thousandths definitely does make a difference. Back to shooting (light "cowboy" loads).

Photo Jun 18, 2 26 33 PM.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts