Colt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering my next handgun and have pretty much settled on a Colt SAA in 45LC. Looking over the classifieds I see descriptions of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation SAA. I assume that this refers to date of mfg., 1st gen being the oldest, and I am discovering the most costly. Other than the age of the piece, are there any other differences in the generations that would make one preferable over the others? What generation are the currently produced SAA's, and are they of as good quality as the older revolvers? I believe that the "Cowboy" model has a cast frame, not a forged frame as the other new models being sold new. I don't know why, but I am not enthusiastic about a cast frame, so I have eliminated the "Cowboy" model. Is the price range of $1,100 to $1,300 reasonable for a SAA? Thanks in advance for your replies. DGR

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all of you for your exdplanations regarding the three generations of SAAs, and especially to you Driftwood Johnson. Replies were very informative. Regarding the cylinder bushing, I understand that older 3rd gen SAA did not have a replacable bushing and that current production SAAs have this replacable bushing. Am I correct? I assume that the advantage of a replacable bushing is that if the fit becomes loose, only the bushing needs replacement and not the entire cylinder. Is this correct? I checked with a local dealer today and got a price quote on a new SAA with 5 1/2" barrel of $1,050. This seems to be a fair price. What do others think?

[This message has been edited by DnnRe (edited 03-23-2004).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.