Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy a second generation SAA. It looks barely used, but there is a two digit serial number on the loading gate which does not match any portion of the serial number on the frame. Should it match? Any help would be appreciated.
Steve

·
Registered
16 Posts
The numbers on the loading gates were what they called part numbers or bin numbers. It had nothing to do with the serial number. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

·
Registered
154 Posts
The bin or assembly numbers were found on the loading gate,the rear of the frame (remove grips to see) and on early second generations, on the rear face of the cylinder. These numbers were placed on fitted components that had to be disassembled for finishing (casehardening, bluing etc) and then correctly reassembled.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks, guys. It is an early Gen. 2, serial number 14xxx, and it has a "35" on the loading gate, and a "3" and a "5" on the cylinder, and the 14xxxx number stamped on the forward and rear parts of the grip frame, and the 14xxx number is etched on the inside of the grips. I think I just bought a Colt SAA! Thanks again for your help.
Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts