Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I need a little help here.
I need to sell a SAA 2nd generation Black box 45LC Nickel plated 5 1/2 inch barrel. Box is tattered, but present. It's numbered to the gun. Original paperwork is present.
My problem is that it has a trigger job and it was set up for Quick draw competitions. The gun is used, but still very nice.
The gun had a repair at one time. The ejector housing was coming loose and needed to be soldered near the end.
I've included some pics below.
I would like to know what you guys feel that it will bring.

***It's the original owners gun and he's had surgery on his hand and can no longer hold the gun. He needs to sell it, but he has a number in mind that he has to have and I just don't want to waste everyones time on it if it's not realistic.
Here's the pics...

Thanks for any help.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

[This message has been edited by GUNKWAZY (edited 03-29-2005).]

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
GUNKWAZY; Hopefully there are some "SAA Experts",out there,but most of us regulars here seem to be more interested finacially and enjoyment wise in Colt D.A.s. I've got a few SAAs,'shooters',in all 3 generations. But I will give it a shot!

Gun looks to be a mid range SAA 2nd gen.if i can read that serial # right. The box and papers are in its favor,despite the box condition-but it is not original,with that repair to the ejector rod(I won't comment on how it couldve/shouldve been done),couple of screws look buggered,as does front sight. All these are major "deductions" for the serious collector. I've seen 2nd generations go for $2000 range,NIB,depending on the rarity of the model(like the .38 & .44 specials),but I don't think this gun will fetch near that. The nickle is a plus,and looks great,as are the plain walnut stocks(more common to nickle guns than as an option on the B/CH models. I assume they are # to gun.

Probably,a collector who also enjoys Cowboy Action Shooting,would be a great potential buyer for your pal's gun. 2nd gens. have great actions,and this SAA would be ideal for that,yet retain its"Colt Value" as compared to a "clone". My guess would be $1200 range,mostly due to the ejector rod solder job. Bud

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gunkwazy, I hate to barge in but Lonewolf hit on my question.

I have 2nd gen 38 special (1956) from a quick check it appears this may be a rare bird. Before I go blasting with it. Is it?

Is there a SAA site I can poke around in?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
First,welcome to the Colt Forum,Dan. On another thread,under Colt Revolvers,we discussed early 2nd gen guns,under the Heading; "mixed assembly numbers",so you might get some info there too.

I have a similar 1956 gun,one of the 1st 1000 built,a .38 Special with 5 1/2"bbl,and probably 97% finish,in blue,and beautiful case colors. I bought the gun,about 15 years ago,no box,no papers,from a dealer for $400. I got it "fairly low",because it wouldn't sell being "only a .38-not the .45!". But they are NOT as rare as you think.

When Colt reintroduced the SAA in 56',they brought it out in the 2 calibers they had been making replacement bbls. and cyls. for during the 1945-56 period,when the SAA,was "supposedly" not being made,hence the "story" about some early SAAs in 56-57' using pre war parts;the complete guns made in the 45-55 period,are known as "post war/pre wars",and were not in those year catalogs. Many older black powder vintage Colts had been converted from "obsolete" calibers such as .44/40,38/40,.41 Colt etc.to the .38 special using these "new parts"(ever wonder where those "old bbls. and cylinders. that show up on ebay etc. came from??thankfully,many gunsmiths saved 'em!). In normal loadings,the .38 special was safe and e-z to shoot in these older SAAs.

Rather than me go on,I will give you some figures from George Garton's book on the Post War Colt SAAs. and you judge for yourself it is rare.

The .38 Special was made from 1956-60(a few made specially 'til 1964),until "replaced by the .357 magnum cal. 6400 approx. in 5 1/2"bbl. 2850 approx. in 7 1/2"bbl. and 750 approx. in 4 3/4" bbl. These are for blue and case hardened guns;nickle guns are very much rarer!! So,the .38 spec. is not that rare,and in fact,for the first 2 years of 2nd gen guns,was about equal to .45 Colt production.

It is obviously up to you if you want to shoot the gun;I would not if it was unfired,with box ect,as value is in $2000 range, But,my .38 was fired some before I bought it,and I've probably added 500 more rounds,and am reloading some 45 year old gas check bullets,at about 1000 fps. for a shoot off between my 1958 vintage Great Western Frontier,a 7 1/2" .38 Special with them. So, far the G.W. has outshot the Colt with most loads.I also know,that "serious"Cowboy Action shooters are always looking for original .38s due to the better action,and milder recoil. Good Luck,and hope this helps a little. Bud

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the input. It sounds like we have the same gun. Mine is in the 4000 range, but similar condition. Other than a nsty cylinder drag line and slight holster wear at the muzzle it perfect. It has been shot, so I'll probably bust a few through it just for fun. I've got $600 in it so I know I didn't get hurt.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts