Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
One of 5 sent back to Colt and changed from .357 to .30 Carbine. This one has been for sale for quite a while in NM. One of the others was sold by James Julia and belonged to one of the Carradine brothers....David, I believe. Not sure where the other 2 are located.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Guess things were different back in 1981. Wouldn't it be fun to be able to get creative without a 2+ year wait these days?!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Didn't I read somewhere that there was one 2nd Gen. made in this calibre? I figured at the time that it might have been a returning G.I. wanting a mate for his carbine.

Rio

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Yes, there was an American Rifleman article in the late 40's about that SAA in .30. That article was part of the original inspiration for the USFA guns in 30 carbine. I had a couple of them back then, one standard finish and one two tone green and black ceracote(or similar). Not a lot of recoil but what a fireball. Steve

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Despite all the gun show tales about 'veteran bring-backs', no returning WWII GI owned a Carbine - those were a brand-new weapon in the inventory and were being improved - Uncle Sam liked them, kept tabs on them and gathered them all up from souvenir-happy GIs and Jarheads by vigorous inspection by MPs and SPs.

Carbines finally made it on to the civilian market through the NRA's offering in about 1963 - sold as 'unserviceable' because they were sans magazine, sling and oiler - all of which were needed for a fully-functional weapon for issue.

That the ads right next to the NRA's offering in the 'American Rifleman' were full of those items seemed a moot point.

Continuing on the .30 Carbine cartridge vein, Ruger chambered their single action in that caliber - one of my gunship pilots carried his in a nifty buscadero rig he'd bought on Tu Do Street, and the fireball (and noise) was truly impressive...

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
I still have the Carbine my dad purchased through the NRA back in the '60s...with invoice. It was $17.50 + $2.50 mailing costs.

I've considered buying a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine...every now and then. I've just never have gotten serious enough about getting one to "pull the trigger"...yet. They're still being made and prices aren't bad.

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Somewhere, I still have that copy of the magazine.

Different times...

GI .45s were right at $15 if you bought a one-year's membership.

They were mailed directly to your home address, too.

Back when I was collecting them, I had several of the NRA sales Carbines - all still in their odd, triangular cardboard boxes and all with sales paperwork.

Because of careless handling/inspection, M2's would often filter out, as well - with M1 parts - a lot were then over-stamped with a '1', and those used to show up, too, but they were illegal as hell - the then ATF's ruling was 'Once a Machinegun, Always a Machinegun', and it's the same, today.

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Because of careless handling/inspection, M2's would often filter out, as well - with M1 parts - a lot were then over-stamped with a '1', and those used to show up, too, but they were illegal as hell - the then ATF's ruling was 'Once a Machinegun, Always a Machinegun', and it's the same, today.
I understand mistakes happen...but when the government makes them...you're held responsible and pay the price.

·
Registered
764 Posts
and the fireball (and noise) was truly impressive...
I have an old model 7.5" bbl Ruger in this caliber and yes the report and associated blast was rather excessive. When hand loaded with proper pistol powder/bullets this is a really great shooting cartridge with a flat trajectory.
tdennis

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
A reloading ability was something we just didn't have, but the ARVNs had cases of .30M1.

I always wondered what EDM slots might do, but I think they'd just enhance the fireball.

He had to tell us he was going to fire the damned thing - otherwise, it sounded like we were being hit, and my head was already on a swivel.

Ah, to be young...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts