Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own (2) 3rd Gen SAA Colts. One is a 44-40, 1980 vintage and the other is a 45lc /45 ACP, 1998 vintage - dual cylinder set-up. The older one is blue case hardened frame and is just OK but nothing special from a fit & finish standpoint. The newer one is spectacular deep mirror polished blue and the case hardening has lots of color etc. From what I normally see older guns tend to be better but this seems to be just the opposite. I am confused, was there changes going on with Colt over this time period or what? Any comments from you SAA guys would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have NOT seen "up close" any of the POST 1982 SAA's,but I "hear" they are virtually "custom guns",so what you say,would NOT be "inconsistent". Some of the later 3rd Gens. were "tossed together",as Colt was appealing to the speculators,who wanted to buy what they heard was the "last SAA's ever by Colt". The poorly trained/motivated replacement labor force at Colt,was also pushed by "the execs" to get them out. Finish is "OK",but the guns lack the hand fitting of internal parts,but the feeling was; "They won't be shot,not even turned"! sad,but true,and sometimes a nice one.got turned out. With these late 3rd. Gens. NOT being the last ones,the "speculators" tried to sell them as prices failed to escalate! hence, many got into the hands of shooters like me,who were NOT happy with the poorly timed/gritty actions,and had to do,or have some "gunsmithing" done to make 'em right!

Guys-think of this???? What IF your vaunted Pythons were announced as being made ONLY for,say 6 MORE MONTHS,or until Colt ran out of parts already made,and then NONE-EVER!! (which from what I have seen here,is the case,as far as Python "reintroduction". Probably better that they don't come back,than to have a bunch "thrown together",as oppossed to the hand fitting,care and pride in workmanship,that have been the heart and soul of thes wonderful examples of the "art of gunmaking for the past 50 years".

Sorry for the long post(s) tonight-but I am putting off doing my income taxes,as I'd planned to tonight,as I have no Tylenol in the house,to ease the headache I'm gonna get,when I see on paper,how much of our income has been given to the state and feds. to waste for the most part,and redistribute to the "entitled".

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

·
Registered
124 Posts
To what seems like a greater extent than other manufacturers, Colt's qualilty has been inconsistent from gun to gun. As Dfarriswheel will point out, some of the old Pythons were overpolished and had rounded over edges, while some late 1980s guns were perfect. I have had that experience with several golden era pistols being no more than above average quality, and some villified 1980's revolvers and pistols being exceptional.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.