Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sure the 1981 is correct. But what about the 44 special is it converted? And if so what does that do to the value? Thanks

·
Registered
10,005 Posts
Yours is a Third Generation Single Action Army - and they did chamber them in .44 Special.

There's no gap in the serial number, by the way - it should read as: SA480XX.

The grips look like 'Buffalo Brothers' or 'Gripmaker' grips - the skull should fit the palm of your right hand nicely, and will aid in shooting comfortably.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
THEY MADE QUITE A FEW of these. There is nothing special about them perse', but they are among the most accurate of the COLT SAA bigbore sixguns. ALL four of mine shoot like a champ with the popular standard handloads. Afew weeks ago I was knocking the stew outta six inch plates at 100 yards with 'em. THEY never missed once, I did, but they never did as the bullet went exactly where the front sight was when the hammer fell.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I bought this .44 special new in 1984. It is serial # SA 22235. I see in my notes it dates 1979. I doubt it sat in the gun shop for 5 years.?

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
I am sure the 1981 is correct. But what about the 44 special is it converted? And if so what does that do to the value? Thanks
My year quote was based on the serial number not having an "SA" in the number. That aside, you have a nice looking colt in my favorite caliber. That's the only caliber I'm interested in in SAAs right now.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Nice .44 Special chambered SAA. The gun would most likely of originally shipped with the black plastic Eagle stocks.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Desirable caliber that is currently only available by special order (and I don't think Colt is currently taking new orders). With no box or papers and aftermarket stocks, I would guesstimate about $1200 to $1300 depending on how bad you want to sell it. If you sell it might want to list it here. Much better class of buyers.;)

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I acquired a pristine .44 special with 4 3/4" barrel blue and case in a hardwood presentation case about four months ago for $1250. I more recently picked up a .44 special 4 3/4" nickel in a trade. It was priced at $1350, however I came out a little better with the trade.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts