Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Gents, I`m looking for some advise on a new SAA Wiley Clapp edition which is advertised in armslist FL for $1550 . I have the "wants" for a SAA and I like the .45ACP cartridge what do you think of the price, and whats the possibility of getting a .45LC cylinder later?
Thanks , Jack

·
Registered
9,998 Posts
I remember Colt offering a dual-cylinder package a couple of years back - .45 Colt and .45ACP.

You might try looking for one - they were priced lower than the 'Wiley Clapp' version...

I had John Kopec fit a .45ACP cylinder years ago, when he offered that service (though I'm pretty sure Eddie Janis did his work), and it's been great - both the .45ACP and .45 S&W rounds are easy on the piece and both shoot to point of aim.

Oddly enough, it locks up just fine in my First, Second and Third Generation Single Action Armys, too.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
There are two for sale on gunbroker at well over $2,000 each, and a few more have actually sold in the $1,900-2,000 range the past couple of months. So your price of $1,550 seems attractive. HOWEVER, Armslist is known to have more scams than legitimate auctions. So either do a face-to-face with the Armslist seller, or pay a few dollars more and buy from a reputable party elsewhere.

John Gross

Reactions: chaosrob

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
it sounds nice. if you buy it you will like shooting 45 acp in your saa. no need to get a 45 colt cylinder because the 45 acp can do anything the 45 colt can and cheaper. good luck

·
Premium Member
6,039 Posts
There is a very nice dual-cylinder Colt SAA with ivory grips on Gun Broker - blue/CC in like new condition. I believe the Buy Now is $2,499 with a starting bid of $2,250.

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
It is a great cartridge for that platform, you will really enjoy it......I have two Colts I ordered as .45ACPs, and one USFA......they are really some of my favorite shooters.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fella advertising the SAA has not responded to my EM`s so maybe he`s not interested , but what is a Wiley Clapp edition anyway???

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
The .45 ACP really shines when you've emptied the cylinder, by firing all five rounds, and start to eject the empty hulls. Those short ACP cases really pop out easily.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
9,998 Posts
Another nice thing is that you can finally fire up all of those old .45ACP lead reloads that wouldn't cycle through your Government Model, or had deformed noses from being mishandled.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I just noticed that this cylinder is countersunk for 45 Auto Rim also!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been in contact with the seller and he refuses to do a F_T_F!
Makes me wonder is this another Armslist scam?
Anyway I am not going to send any money it`s f-t-f or nothing, so I guess the search goes on.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I have been in contact with the seller and he refuses to do a F_T_F!
Makes me wonder is this another Armslist scam?
Anyway I am not going to send any money it`s f-t-f or nothing, so I guess the search goes on.
As Monty Python would say, ..."RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY!"

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I ordered my SAA with both cylinders and have never regretted it. I have never fired the 45LC cylinder. 45 ACP is cheaper for us non reloaders, and I like shooting it. Part of the reason I wanted the 45 LC cylinder was just because I thought it would have more appeal if I ever sold it, which hopefully I wont have to do anytime soon...

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I acquired a NIB 3rd Gen. .45 Colt /.45 ACP at gun show in Phoenix. The tariff was $1600. :( However I was very happy with my new find. I have another in my sights and am working on the owner to sell it to me.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
LET ME NOTE HERE FOR THE RECORD : My COLT SAA 4 3/4" 45/45, a third gen, was issued as a 45ACP sixgun with a spare fitted 45COLT. It shot a tiny bit high with the 45COLT cylinder and a tiny bit low with the 45ACP cylinder, and both shoot very well indeed. Two weeks ago I had it up in the U.P. and shot the stew outta steel targets at 90, 100, 110, and 120 yards. Some of that steel is not all the big either. I do not even bother taking out the 45ACP cylinder anymore. Easier to grab a second gun in 45COLT, and the CIMARRON/TURNBULL 45 and the COLT NF2nd GEN 5 1/2" 45 delivered the goods in fine style; YESSIRREEE !!

·
Registered
9,545 Posts
I think I recenty saw a Colt .45 ACP cylinder on Ebay, but it might have been a Christy. But you would have to have an older Colt already. Forgot the price but it was a little rough.

·
Premium Member
7,959 Posts
I acquired a Wiley Clapp locally for $1800, which included local taxes after bargaining. asking was $1850
They seem to be available for quite a bit more on Gunbroker, as someone mentioned, but I dont think they are selling for that price. However, I think my price is is about as low as a NIB might be found on a legitimate listing

1 - 20 of 23 Posts