Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....Aug. 24th in Larned KS. The description mentions 7 1/2, Ainsworth inspected, but no picture. This serial number is listed on page 271, Survivors of the Little Bighorn chapter in Kopec's 'Colt Cav & Arts' by number, but as an Artillery if I'm reading it right. 5053 is from lot 5, which is prime 7th cav issue. I've not seen this gun or have anything to do with the auction. There are lots of Colts on this sale. Who knows what condition this is in or even if it is what is said, but I'm tempted to go and at least see what it looks like, but probably won't. I can't go to a gun auction without buying something and I've cut myself off till winter. Anyway, if anyone is interested, go to Carr Auction

·
Registered
25 Posts
I stopped by the auction today to see this one sell.
It had seen a lot of use. There was a US stamp on the frame, otherwise I'm not knowledgeable enough on these early ones to know for sure what to look for. If there was an inspection mark on the stocks it was either worn off or so faint I didn't see it, but I only got to handle it very briefly before the bidding started.
The final bid was $15000. I did not know the gentleman who made the winning bid.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Dodge City, didn't you see the money running out of that fellows ears, I did, hes got tons of Colt 1st gen SAAs and always has some over priced ones for sale in the area gun shows. Hes been around a long time, I did notice he was in a wheel chair this time though.

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I stopped by the auction today to see this one sell.
It had seen a lot of use. There was a US stamp on the frame, otherwise I'm not knowledgeable enough on these early ones to know for sure what to look for. If there was an inspection mark on the stocks it was either worn off or so faint I didn't see it, but I only got to handle it very briefly before the bidding started.
The final bid was $15000. I did not know the gentleman who made the winning bid.

Did it have a 7 1/2 or 5 1/2?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Smokehaus - yes, now that you mention it I have seen him at some of the shows around the area, but do not know him personally.

Chaffee, it has the 7 1/2 inch barrel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts