Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The current production Single Actions have a very high polish blue finish, as do some of the high end restorations that I've seen images of posted on the forum, and some of production that USFA was turning out. But did Colt ever use that ultra high polish in the past on its Single Actions? I've had several 2nd gen SAAs in the past and they all had a more muted polish to them, as does my recently purchased 1st gen. The only SAA that I've ever owned with the high polish was an early 3rd gen NF.

Best regards,

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Early 2nd Gen black box era guns have more of a brushed, almost service style bluing.

The 2nd Gen New Frontier had the high polish Royal Blue finish from its inception.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How were the 1st gen guns? The only ones that I've seen with that high polish blue have been some of the restorations. Did any of them ever really come out of the factory looking like that?

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
All guns that came out of the custom shop had Royal Blue finish. The early 3rd gen guns were standard production guns except for comm. or special edition guns out of the Custom Shop. Examples would be like the 1986 Engraved Sampler 150th anniv. John Wayn etc. All the new SAA are made in the custom shop and there for come with the high royal blue finish.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have got a pair of new 3rd gens. Cannot fault the finish or quality but what disappoints me a little is the serial numbers are so small and lightly stamped they are difficult to read. Bit nit-picky maybe ............
Sorry if I am meandering off subject.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts