Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what this should be? ...I think mine is too little-after a little shooting, the cylinder starts to bind up on it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info.I checked mine and it is less than .003.Is correcting this as simple as very careful,with frequent measuring,work with a fine file or emery paper?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
camster; I know dafaris will probably "correct" me on this,but I would say-NO! No matter how careful you are,can you be sure of filing the barrel end exactly perpendicular and have the same amount of metal removed all around the barrel?? Maybe,but gunsmiths have a "tool" that enters the muzzle,and comes out the end,then the back side of it "grinds" an even amount over the entire diameter/surface of the rear of the bbl. The smith will use a jig to make sure the gun doesn't move and that cutter is perpendicular at all times.

I put a new cylinder in an SAA,and it had this problem. Friend suggested sliding the cylinder bushing "out" a few thousands,then using "miracle adhesive" to hold the bushing in that place(and you could drive it out,if ever needed,with a proper fitting punch!). Probably "would have worked,for a while(can't do this with 3rd Gens.)But I had a very good gunsmith nearby,who did the job I described with the "tool", for $15.00,including checking headspace.

Try and find a reputable smith WITH,proper "tools",as you don't want to mess up an expensive barrel.

Good Luck,
Bud

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
I agree.
Colt revolvers are simply too expensive to play around with.

The correct "fix" in this case is to first be SURE the headspace of the cylinder is in spec, and to be sure there's no other problems like end shake in the cylinder.

After insuring everything is in spec, the fix would be to use a down-the-bore cutting tool to carefully trim the barrel to the correct gap.

THEN you'd have to use a special forcing cone plug gage to check the forcing cone to be sure it's in spec.

I recommend the Colt factory, and Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters for QUALITY repairs, with no little "mistakes" like you often get from local gunsmiths.

This is one of those seemingly simple things. Just trim a BIT of metal off the barrel, and save the expense of a gunsmith. Nothing to it.

Of course when the gun no longer shoots well, it's too late to put it back the way it was.

This is a classic case of "Penny wise, Dollar foolish".

Get the pros to do it. They have JUST the right tools and knowledge to do it RIGHT.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the advice and education, gentlemen.This was a NIB gun that I fired for the first time just recently,both outings proving troublesome.I will not risk buggering up myself,now that I know the proper procedure,the right folks to do it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Is this by chance,camster,a 3rd Gen, New Frontier?? Just curious,because I bought a 4.75" 44/40 New Frontier, NIB,around 1992,one of the last "produced" in the 156xxNF range(1982?) Incredible sloppy job of fitting,cylinder ring in 50 shots. Needed a lot of hand fitting(and a new bolt)to function smoothly. Always been accurate and now has an extra .44 special cylinder.

I've always felt that the last 3rd Gens, were just "assembled, not fitted,as the feeling was "speculators",who had no intentions of even cocking them,let alone shooting them,would buy them for "investments" Also had a 3rd Gen. SAA,that "was not the best"(.44 Special). Combine this with a bad experience with a Mk.III Trooper (.22) and it is no wonder,that with the exception of a 1970 vintage .22 Cobra,all the remainder of my Colts were made prior to 1968,the great majority being pre World War Two.

But then,this mostly holds true for my S&W's too,but I do love 2 of the 1990 clss,an M-610 and M-16-4.

Bud

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Indeed it is,Bud. It was new old stock in a local gun store until I bought it just a few years ago,finally deciding to shoot it recently.I think it was made in 1981.It has the 7.5 barrel and is 45LC.I am expecting Dixie Gunworks to be sending me a 4 3/4 barrel-this sounds like the perhaps the right time to have that one fitted-if it is not the correct one,I'll send the gun as is to one of the suggested places.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:
I sent the gun to Colt and they will correct the issue as a freebie! 30 day turnaround.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I read an article recently that John Taffin wrote about the New Frontiers. He recommended looking any 3rd Generation over very closely because of quality problems. Does anyone know if the problems exist with the entire production range of 3rd Gen New Frontiers (I believe from about 1978 to 1982, something like 12,000 guns) or is it limited to the last couple of years of production? Do the regular SAAs of the same vintage also have these problems?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
You always hear people talking about "Bad years" and "Good years" when discussing guns.

As I've said before, guns are not bottles of wine.
There are NO "Bad or Good vintages", there are only bad or good INDIVIDUAL guns.

NO gun maker makes an entire production run of defective or bad quality guns.

Bad guns are randomly sprinkled throughout the run as are exceptional guns.

Colt's made during the Big Strike MAY have a higher chance of having problems, and it's just being smart to look more closely at them.

However, you simply can't make a blanket statement that ALL the Colt New Frontiers made in a specific time were "Bad".

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Got to go along with Taffin on this one! While there probably were some well fitted 3rd gen, SAA's I haven't run into any in my circle of friends. I have related the story of my NIB 4.75" N.F Frontier 44/40,I bought in 1992. I called 2 of my friends 50-100 miles away,from outside the dealers,as he had a "special purchase",and wwas selling them(in other calibers and bbl. lengths and some SAA 3rds for between $600 and $750. Both had me "hold" one and drove down after work to pay for them. ALL 3 guns needed major fitting;deep cylinder ring on mine in 50 rds;bolt trigger problems on others. Had a late SAA 5.5" .44 Special,that also "was not up to par". When I was active in CASS,most 3rd gens had "problems".

I will always contend,that some of these 3rd gens were "assembled" NOT "fitted",as with the announce of the plan to discontinue them,"speculators"(I will never call them collectors!) were buying these up,with their white cotton gloves.never to even turn the cylinder let alone shoot them. Strike or no strike,these guns should have never left the factory!!

I can never "prove"that since Colt management "knew" most of these late SAAs and N.F. would never even be turned,the order went out to get them out quickly.

I know they are "newer",but the price differential between 2nd and 3rd gens reflects this decline of quality.

Lest anyone think I am picking on Colt per se,the poorest fitted "new gun" I ever bought was an M-544 Texas 150th Ann. in the 44/40 from S&W!!!! These were made in 1986,and were commemoratives(but with limited "gold". Liking the 44/40,and not wanting to abuse my older Colts and S&Ws in 44/40,I bought one!!! Worse than the N.F. Even the spring in the ejector rod front lock was NOT installed.

Kinda upset me to buy something brand new,then have to "tear it down" and rebuild it right!! Didn't mind doing this in the early 60's when I used to drag race Super Stocks for a couple of dealers to gain some advantages,but not a gun that is suppossed to function,when delivered!

So,look those 3rd Gens. over even more carefully than some other guns,especially any NIB you see,as some of the "speculators"may be trying to unload their safe queens as shooters,as they did in the early days of CASS,to just double or triple their investments from 20 years ago,not the 10 fold that a couple I knew expected when they bought them.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gentlemen,
May I ask your consensus of the current guns?...They seem to be priced lower than a few years ago? Lesser guns?
Thank you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got her back from Colt in less time than they said initially.No charge-took her out today-works just fine!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts